How to raise shift points

I have a stage II 200R4 from Extreme Automatics and need to raise my shift points from 5200 to ~ 6000 RPM. What exactly do I need to do to the governor in order to make that happen?

Thanks

You need to remove weight from the governor. From what I remember..1 gram is 2-300 RPM.

raise shift points

Disassemble the governor---would be nice if you have a gram scale---we're working on the small weight only---it should weigh 47--grind it down to 43. That;s where mine is and I have 5800-6000 shifts, depending on boost level. Higher boost will increase shift points.

Call CK and have Chris make you a custom valve body. He can make it shift where ever you want.

governor

Should I do anything with the springs or setup a set screw?

This is what I do and have been for some time.
Disassemble governor
Using an 8-32 tap which fits the hole in the small weight--run tap into hole but not all the way through.
I go to Lowes and buy a few 8-32 X 1/4 in. set screws
Run the set screw into tapped hole with red Loctite.
If you run tap all the way through --threads will be LOOSE--you want the threads TIGHT. Clear??
I weigh the weight before installing screw--BRF= 47 grams
Once set screw is run in untill head is flush with outside--weigh again--ususally around 51 grams.
Slowly grind weight down too 43 grams. Take the weight off top!!!!
Lets say on a 500 HP car this will yeild 5600-5800 shifts points assuming all else being equal.
I don't do anything with the spring!!!!!!
You do need to be careful handling the weights and spring.
When reassembling slide weights over shaft and be SURE they swing freely--no binding!!!
Best of luck.--Lee

This is what I do and have been for some time.
Disassemble governor
Using an 8-32 tap which fits the hole in the small weight--run tap into hole but not all the way through.
I go to Lowes and buy a few 8-32 X 1/4 in. set screws
Run the set screw into tapped hole with red Loctite.
If you run tap all the way through --threads will be LOOSE--you want the threads TIGHT. Clear??
I weigh the weight before installing screw--BRF= 47 grams
Once set screw is run in untill head is flush with outside--weigh again--ususally around 51 grams.
Slowly grind weight down too 43 grams. Take the weight off top!!!!
Lets say on a 500 HP car this will yeild 5600-5800 shifts points assuming all else being equal.
I don't do anything with the spring!!!!!!
You do need to be careful handling the weights and spring.
When reassembling slide weights over shaft and be SURE they swing freely--no binding!!!
Best of luck.--Lee

Wow, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I wouldn't do that

Your going to end up changing shift points across the board. In other words, it will not want to shift while light throttle cruising. If you going to play around with the governor then get another one to experiment with. Keep your original in case you want to go back.

not so

Your going to end up changing shift points across the board. In other words, it will not want to shift while light throttle cruising. If you going to play around with the governor then get another one to experiment with. Keep your original in case you want to go back.

Every trans I build, I do the governor this way. It has no effect on part throttle shifts. You ask for advise--I gave it--do as you please.

Every trans I build, I do the governor this way. It has no effect on part throttle shifts. You ask for advise--I gave it--do as you please.

What actually controls part throttle shifts? My trans shifts fast when taking off normally,might actually hit 3rd gear by the time you go under the street light.

Correction !!!!!

---it should weigh 47--grind it down to 43. That;s where mine is and I have 5800-6000 shifts, depending on boost level. Higher boost will increase shift points.

Sorry, should have been
Factory weight is--- 14.7 gram
Grind down to ------14.3 gram

Sorry, should have been
Factory weight is--- 14.7 gram
Grind down to ------14.3 gram

Oh boy, I did mine way different.

I used a nylon screw for weight. Starting weight with the screw was 15.0. After grinding and drilling I got it down to 12.8.

I'll let you guys know the results in a few weeks.

You need a different vb. This has been covered about 10 times in the last 2 years. You can not grind enough weight off the governor to get a 6000 rpm shift if your converter is in spec and your running any power through it. You will have inconsistency if you grind too much off the governor. Yopu can fine tune a couple hundred rpm with the governor thats it.

Looks like my shiftpoints are 5400-5500 on the 1-2 and 5500-5600 on the 2-3 shift.

I'll call Lonnie and see what VB I need to make it shift around 6000.

Thanks for you help guys.

You need a different vb. This has been covered about 10 times in the last 2 years. You can not grind enough weight off the governor to get a 6000 rpm shift if your converter is in spec and your running any power through it. You will have inconsistency if you grind too much off the governor. Yopu can fine tune a couple hundred rpm with the governor thats it.

a while back i had a run of gov springs done with exact dimensions except for 10% less rate-------they don't require removing weight from the small weight and don't seem to affect part throttle shift

a while back i had a run of gov springs done with exact dimensions except for 10% less rate-------they don't require removing weight from the small weight and don't seem to affect part throttle shift

Richard,

I'm not sure I follow...if the spring has 10% less rate does that mean it takes less centrifugal force to allow the weight to swing out. Wouldn't that mean it shifts at a lower rpm?

If I'm off base and the shift points are raised, about how many rpms are you getting?

Mike

The spring seems to have more effect on the low driveshaft speed shift rpm since there is not a lot of centrifugal force then. Ive noticed a couple hundred rpm difference at WOT with all else the same. Ive never played around long enough to get a consistent increase of 800 or more rpm modifying the governor with everything else left the same. KC with the stock BR governor and a little modification to the gov if need be will cover 90% looking for around 6000rpm shift points.