How to raise shift points

The spring seems to have more effect on the low driveshaft speed shift rpm since there is not a lot of centrifugal force then. Ive noticed a couple hundred rpm difference at WOT with all else the same. Ive never played around long enough to get a consistent increase of 800 or more rpm modifying the governor with everything else left the same. KC with the stock BR governor and a little modification to the gov if need be will cover 90% looking for around 6000rpm shift points.

That's my next steps if I need more rpm.

Looks like I may need to get on a dyno to see where the power curve is, ugh.

Richard,

I'm not sure I follow...if the spring has 10% less rate does that mean it takes less centrifugal force to allow the weight to swing out. Wouldn't that mean it shifts at a lower rpm?

If I'm off base and the shift points are raised, about how many rpms are you getting?

Mike

to me changing the spring makes good sense since it doesn't require a permanent removal of material from the weight--------a lighter spring on the small weight raises the shift point---------at slow speeds the large weight is dominant since obviously it moves first-------at higher speeds the small weight is the controlling factor and if it is lightened it takes a higher speed to move it out with enough force to hold the checkball closed---in addition to rotating forces the spring on the small weight also tends to hold the ball in the closed position---------if the spring is stronger the lower the speed it is active---------think what happens if your spring pops off which represents a super weak spring------- the shift speed goes up so high that it may never shift---------the change really depends on the individual trans--------tolerances in valve body parts (springs) and gov parts (weights and springs) determine the actual increase-----------as for tolerances several years ago I measured the weights (with calibrated laboratory scales) in over a dozen governors and averaged the numbers and found them to vary as much as 3%------i also measured the spring rates in a very sensitive spring checker and found them to vary just as much---conclusion??-------small weight should be 14.9 grams and big weight is 34.5............RC

to me changing the spring makes good sense since it doesn't require a permanent removal of material from the weight--------a lighter spring on the small weight raises the shift point---------at slow speeds the large weight is dominant since obviously it moves first-------at higher speeds the small weight is the controlling factor and if it is lightened it takes a higher speed to move it out with enough force to hold the checkball closed---in addition to rotating forces the spring on the small weight also tends to hold the ball in the closed position---------if the spring is stronger the lower the speed it is active---------think what happens if your spring pops off which represents a super weak spring------- the shift speed goes up so high that it may never shift---------the change really depends on the individual trans--------tolerances in valve body parts (springs) and gov parts (weights and springs) determine the actual increase-----------as for tolerances several years ago I measured the weights (with calibrated laboratory scales) in over a dozen governors and averaged the numbers and found them to vary as much as 3%------i also measured the spring rates in a very sensitive spring checker and found them to vary just as much---conclusion??-------small weight should be 14.9 grams and big weight is 34.5............RC

The spring on the small weight has quite a bit of effect on light throttle low speed shifts too. More so than i ever thought possible. I had a BR vb with a CQ gov that had springs on both weights and erroneously left it in the car when i put the BR vb in and had 1-2 shifts at light throttle at about 6 mph. The 2-3 wa salmost stack shifted at light throttle angles less than 20mph also. Removing the spring from the light gov weight brought back the BR calibration. BR has later light throttle 3-4 than anything GM calibrated to my knowledge.

The spring on the small weight has quite a bit of effect on light throttle low speed shifts too. More so than i ever thought possible. I had a BR vb with a CQ gov that had springs on both weights and erroneously left it in the car when i put the BR vb in and had 1-2 shifts at light throttle at about 6 mph. The 2-3 wa salmost stack shifted at light throttle angles less than 20mph also. Removing the spring from the light gov weight brought back the BR calibration. BR has later light throttle 3-4 than anything GM calibrated to my knowledge.

mainly because the BR gov has the lightest weights of all the other govs