How to make a turbo regal idle smoothly?

87gninpa

Are these cars just not meant to idle smoothly like a V8?? Ive owned two so far, an 86 T-type and my current 87 GN and both cars are in excellent condition and running very well, but the idle just seems a little rough. Have replaced nearly every sensor ont he car and its still not perfect. Its not horrible, dont get me wrong, the rpm dont jump or anything, it just feels "rough". Is there anything that clears it up??? is there something wrong with my car or is that just the nature of the beast???

IN carmakers quest to comply with emissions standards, most cars idle very lean. This can cause a "stumbly" idle. Coupled with a lot of timing advance, to burn todays crap fuel, the problem is worsened. Try opening your plug gap a tad. If its .030, open to .035, if .035, try opeining to .037 or so to see if it helps at all. The leaner the AF, the larger plug gap you need.

Another option is one of TurboBob or Eric Marshalls open loop idle chips. I dont know where they set them at, but my car idled like glass at 13.2:1ish

Thanks guys, at least its not just my car and i wont drive myself crazy over it....TurboJim, where can i get one of those chips, id like to try it, do you happen to have an extra?

Originally posted by 87gninpa
Thanks guys, at least its not just my car and i wont drive myself crazy over it....TurboJim, where can i get one of those chips, id like to try it, do you happen to have an extra?

Sorry, dont do chips anymore, my FAST idles in open loop at this moment.. although at 14.5:1

It is a 90 degree V6. An unnatural creation. Will never, ever, ever idle as smoothly as a 90 degree V8. It is imbalanced, and there is nothing that can be done to balance it perfectly. With a good chip, you can get it to idle better than stock, but just don't compare it to a V8.

For stock injectors on a budget.. the thrasher 92 chip open loop.. will idle like a caddy.. why becuase its rich as hell.

Eric and Baileys chips are the best for a custom chip.

My chips can be purchased thru most distributors and shops.

Commander chip - for stock MAF equipped vehicles

Extender chip - for Translator equipped vehicles. injector size up to 60's

Extender Extreme - for Translator equipped vehicles. injector size 55 and larger.

Bob Bailey