how to figure out if rear end is open or limited slip

Look for the G80 code on your tag on the inside of your trunk lid.

Burn out half the time is both wheels at start other ita only one wheel peel

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Check the the front of the pass side axle tube. There should be a stamped code with letters and numbers about 1/4" in height. You might have to clean the area to find it. If it has a 3TP it's a 8.5 limited slip posi. If it has a 3TJ its a 8.5 peg leg. These codes only apply to an 87 TR. I forget what the codes are if you have an 86...If it has any other code then it is not the rear end that originally came with the car.

If you have a verified posi rear end then it might be your clutches are going.
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=46_21_128&products_id=1813

Jack rear tires off the ground and rotate in neutral both wheels should turn in the same direction. Going off the code is not enough because it's possible that a limited slip was added to a non-limited slip car or someone removed the limited slip rear and put in an open one

The only real way it to pull the cover. If it is a posi maybe putting fresh fluid and GM limited slip additive and see what happens. Worst case is nothing so you know you need a new unit. Eatons are nice...

gbody has clutch packs now again so you don't need to replace it if the clutches are just worn.

I know what codes say but previous owner may have put a posi unit in it . It is not posi every time i burnout . I need to remove cover and inspect . Thanks to all

Take Bison's advise. Jack both wheels off the ground, put the car in neutral and turn one wheel. The other one should turn in the same direction if it is a posi. If you put it in park and turn one wheel and the other turns in the oposite direction it is an open rear. No need to pull the cover.

Put left foot on brake, bring up boost to 10psi with right foot, let go of brake. If you have 1 black tire streak, buy an eaton, if you have 2 you posi is good:LOL:

Why does the Eaton get recommended so quickly now that we have clutch packs? Does the Eaton perform better than a properly set up stock posi rear?

TIA

the stock unit was probably an Eaton...

and the best way to find out for sure is to pop the cover and take a look... it probably needs new oil, anyways..

Back up on sandy surface give it some gas. One tire mark open, two posi.