How to drill a wastgate plate.

ttribejr

The plate that fixes an overported wastegate. I got one from bison a while back, marked it where I want it.

This thing is harder than prisoner dick. I have ruined every drill bit I tried to cut it with. Anybody know of a “not too expensive” step bit that will cut it? The 10-20$ amazon ones won’t.

I brought mine to work and the toolmaker used a carbide mill , and yes he said it was HARD . Be careful and don't go to big . Keep it under 1" , mine was .91" .

The plate that fixes an overported wastegate. I got one from bison a while back, marked it where I want it.
This thing is harder than prisoner dick. I have ruined every drill bit I tried to cut it with. Anybody know of a “not too expensive” step bit that will cut it? The 10-20$ amazon ones won’t.
The plates are too hard to use a drill bit. I use a carbide boring bar in a mill. Take it to a machine shop and have it done right.

As already said, a machine shop would be the best way to have it done right and it would also be the safest way.

Ok. I was hoping a step bit would do it so I could go on test drives to see if boost was too high. Trying to have a large range of control so if I get stuck away from a e85 pump o can turn it way down while putting home on 93 octane.

don't forget the honey mustard sauce like turboelky! If you saw the fix a bent valve thread.

Air grinder with carbide burr works too.

Angle grinder with a carbide burr is the most accessible too most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you cant find anyone to do it just clearly mark it where you want it cut send it to me in a postage paid addressed box and i will cut it no charge RC

Ok. I was hoping a step bit would do it so I could go on test drives to see if boost was too high. Trying to have a large range of control so if I get stuck away from a e85 pump o can turn it way down while putting home on 93 octane.

The only step bit I've used to drill stainless steel junction boxes (probably lower grade stainless) are Klein Tools or Greenlee brands available at electrical supply houses for around $70.
You have to use a LOT of pressure, go VERY VERY slow and use lots of lube. Hey, that sounds like my honeymoon. Lol
I've never met a titanium coated bit that could cut the mustard, honey mustard to be exact. Hehe

It's gonna be a bitch to drill. A good uni-bit would do it at low speed with a lot of pressure. Alternative is a carbide burr like mentioned.

I have gone as far as to weld the wg hole in the turbine house then report and re surface.

Another alternative is to install a RJC oversized wastegate puck in the downpipe.