How to change throttle shaft seals?

daily driver

How hard is it to change the throttle shaft seals and where should I purchase them? Can this be done with the throttle body still installed?

Thanks.

I just used nitrile rubber O Rings from an O-Ring kit and it is working great even at 25 PSI.

Also, I did it while it was off the car but I bet it can be done while on the car - be careful to not drop anything down the manifold.

The seals are real easy to replace.

From memory, I did the following:

1) Remove and clean the throttle body with spray cleaner and a paint brush.
2) Remove the butterfly plate, mark the outside and orientation it goes in
3) Remove the shaft, I think it slid out from the side with the throttle position sensor
4) I think there were seal cover plates to be removed first.
5) Before removing the seal, measure how deep it is from the surface so you know when the new ones are seated.
6) Tap out each seal being careful not to scratch the bore.
7) I used a socket to press in the new seal, I ruined 1 because it started crooked. Start with real gentle taps on the socket while watching that it is going in straight.

Thats it.

My old seals were rock hard and shot. I picked up a little bit of vacuum at idle and got rid of an annoying whistling sound.

If you are running 22 psi boost, these may not hold up for long, according to Harwal's spec sheet the ones I got were only rated to 8 or 10 psi. Their site is down for updates at the moment. These looked to be the exact replacement, I wonder what the stock seals were originally rated at and what others use who run high levels of boost.

You might want to try what was stated earlier to use O-rings.

Good luck.

Bob

What Harwal seal number did you use?

Sounds like I should pull the throttle body to make sure. Anything else I should be ready to replace? I have the body to plenum gskt already to go.

Here's what I saved from some others posts over the years:
-------
It really doesn't have much tension on it. About 1/2 rev is all it is wound. Just pay attention to it's and the throttle arm's orientation before you disassemble. Pry back the two lock washer tabs, loosen the nut, pull the linkage arm off and the spring and plastic bushing will follow. Carefully remove the two screws holding the blade in (they are "staked" in back, so can be a little tough to get started) and pull the blade out. Remove the screw that holds the shaft clip on and carefully slide the shaft out to that side. Sometimes there are burrs around the screw holes on the shaft that won't allow it to slide out through the casting. Simply knock them down with a small file till you can easily slide it out. If you force it, you will gouge the casting. The stock seals will pop out with a screwdriver. Clean it up well, and you are ready to drive in the new seals.

Do you have new seals? They can NOT be found at the local hardware store... trust me. I get mine from MeasePerformance and he gets his from the original OEM supplier, but only after buying a large enough quantity that they would produce them for him again. I searched far and wide and never came up with a reasonable replacement till Keith and I exchanged info.

Should you need any shoot me an email. Good Luck!

Throttlebodys.Com does repairs now (Stevemon)

Untitled Document has parts

Im in Georgia so i called Harwal they directed me to Applied Industries in Macon Ga. phone#1-478-784-7165 guy named carl.... if youre talkin about the same bushings or seals as i was told theyre called maybe the same i dont know -the part that the shaft rides on. Any way they took my name, address ,card # the part # i ordered for the buick is 10x17x05B.... i ordered 4 , for all 4 counting shipping they were $30 total.. came in 4 days if i remember correctly.

10 x 17 x 05B NBR
I was able to get them right from Harwal. I ordered about 8 pairs to take care of the gals and guys in the local TB club.
-------------
replacement seals for Throttle body shaft.

I found a great source for these seals, most turbo buicks need these seals replaced by now, they cake and crack over time leading to leaks you cant detect but hear them, these two seals sit on each side of the throttle body shaft, and are about the size of a dime, GM wont sell you these seals alone, they want to sell you the whole Throttle body which cost about an arm and a leg from them i found a great source for these seals, and trust me guys they need to be replaced if your car has more than 30k miles on it, the seal model and size are as follow, all metric size.

17x10x5B, the B at the end is the model of the seal if dont mention it you will get the wrong ones, you can get them from this supplier which is located in VA.

Untitled Document

Harwal Inc.
P O Box 363
72 Industrial Lane
Barre, VT 05641
Phone: (802)223-0197.

just thought i share with everyone.

they run about $7.00 dollars each and there is no need to do mickey mouse work with these they are correct size and perfect fit.
---------------

Hope that helps! It's always good to save old posts :)

John