How much of a restriction is a stock ic with pt-70?

chikn305

I did a search and havent found exactly what im looking for. Im tuning the car with the new alky chip and when i got to 23 psi it wouldnt make anymore power with more boost. Im just wondering how much this stock intercooler is hurting. The car made 488hp and 620tq

Uhhh a stock un modded IC on that setup is worth well over .5 I would say, maybe more :eek: ... with a dutt neck not as bad, but it's hurting you BAD thats for sure... If you want to keep the stock location but want a better IC then get a nice stock location unit!

Well as far as a slic my car is so low that it wont work but I have some ideas on how to get a fm on it. I would be happy if itd pick up .3 in the 1/8

its a restriction but the inability to cool your charge is more important i would think
theres an IC chart on the web..im on the laptop so no linky

all that air your compressin is being crammed in the motor hot and your relying on the alk to cool it down

but im not saying anything you really dont already know eh

It would be like trying to blow up a tire with a coffee stirrer:D

Stock intercoolers start becoming a big restriction once you run quicker than 12's from what I've read. Considering a 70mm turbo is capable of getting a car into the 9's, I'd say it's an unbelievable restriction compared to the turbo's capability. You'd probably be capable of at least 100-150 more horsepower with a good IC if your combo has supporting mods.

Well, the Dutt neck free's up 2psi and then my V2 freed up 3.5psi so right there you'd be around 29psi and putting out the same temps from the turbo. Then the FMIC would cool that same temp down WAY more than the stock IC allowing you to run this boost level at a lower octane than before.

Inlet restrictions are vital in squeezing out every last usable cfm from your turbo. The 70mm throttle body and plenum free up 3psi so you have a long way to go.

You know w/ that 2million you just found youd think you would just tube chassis that thing and go really fast.

Do you guys realize this car only weighs 3000 w/ him in it and makes 620 tq on a stock 3.8 bottom through a stock (not stock location) I mean STOCK ic.

Get a looser converter and this thing is going to be scary fast.

Doug

The stock intercooler is a big restriction on a 70mm. I ran a stock intercooler on a large stock appearing turbo and it slowed me down 2 tenths in the 1/8. 60 foot also suffered because it slowed spoolup after launch. I had to leave on a lot more boost with the stock intercooler than I did with a larger cooler. I could force 30# of boost through it but back pressure got crazy, it cracked my cossover pipe after just a couple passes. It went 11.00 at 118 with a cracked crossover in a 3650# car. I'd put another cooler on it, you'll like the difference.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ive been suspect of that being the reason why I had to leave with so much more boost than others and still not 60ft that great for what the car has and weighs.