How Much HP & Boost on Pump Gas?

MNwe4

Hey all, got a question for eveyone. How much power are people making on 93 octane pump gas and at how much boost? I ask as my car is at a shop for tuning and we're at 471hp at 18lbs. The owner of the shop doesn't want to go past 18lbs in fear that there is not enough octane in the fuel resulting in knock. I am running an alcohol injection kit with two nozzles as well. Where is eveyone else at?

I don't know if asking for other peoples numbers is really an effective question...I'd say as long as you go turn the boost up slowly and tune for zero detonation you'll be okay.

18 psi is what I run on 93 pump gas only...With alky I run MUCH more.

I'm worried for your sake that the shop your car is at doesn't know a lot about Buicks. I would try to find some guys close to you that are more knowledgeable with these cars.

With a Razor dual nozzle setup and 14v at the pump ive been running 28psi on 93. I plan on making nearly 600whp on 93 without alky with the engine im putting together right now.

What turbo and intercooler? Assuming the fuel system is "enough", those will determine how much boost you can run.

I run 20# on 93 octane pump gas, cleanly, no knock, WITHOUT alky.

Assuming all's well in the tune department you should easilly be able to run MUCH more than 18#!! There are plenty of guys running 93 and alky at boost levels over 23#.

As for HP, that's a sum of the parts. IOW, your engine build will determine that.

I run 20# on 93 octane pump gas, cleanly, no knock, WITHOUT alky.

Assuming all's well in the tune department you should easilly be able to run MUCH more than 18#!! There are plenty of guys running 93 and alky at boost levels over 23#.

As for HP, that's a sum of the parts. IOW, your engine build will determine that.

I got to ask how you get yours to run on 93 with 20lbs of boost No alky??Are you just lowering the timing to run the higher boost numbers?

I got to ask how you get yours to run on 93 with 20lbs of boost No alky??Are you just lowering the timing to run the higher boost numbers?

I have run as much as 22 psi boost with no knock on straight 94 octane pump gas. I ran 10.23 @133 this way. Congrat to Bird (aka Rich) 10.23 @131 on pump gas - TurboBuicks.com
Keep the timing low(17-18) and the afr a little fat. I have never been to the dyno but according to the calculators i am somewhere in the 650 rwhp range.

Yes. My WOT timing is 18° in 1st and 2nd gears, and 17° in 3rd and 4th.

What turbo and intercooler? Assuming the fuel system is "enough", those will determine how much boost you can run.

I'm running an ATR front mount intercooler with a 68gtq turbo. I also have 60lb injectors. The fuel system was upgraded years ago. I don't recall exactly what was done, but it should be good for what we're asking from it. I feel like we ran close to 18lbs of boost on the stock motor with no problem, so we should definately be able to run more now. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm open to any suggestions.

With a Razor dual nozzle setup and 14v at the pump ive been running 28psi on 93. I plan on making nearly 600whp on 93 without alky with the engine im putting together right now.

For ur 109 or S2?

Hey all, got a question for eveyone. How much power are people making on 93 octane pump gas and at how much boost? I ask as my car is at a shop for tuning and we're at 471hp at 18lbs. The owner of the shop doesn't want to go past 18lbs in fear that there is not enough octane in the fuel resulting in knock. I am running an alcohol injection kit with two nozzles as well. Where is eveyone else at?

Yea it dosen't sound like they are to experienced with TR's. A lot of people run 23-24 pounds all the time with alky without issues and others run even higher so 18 lbs is nothing. I would get another opinion from someone who is more familiar with these cars.

There are plenty of very knowledgeable people on this board. See if there is a TB shop within driving distance of where you live?

I have run as much as 22 psi boost with no knock on straight 94 octane pump gas. I ran 10.23 @133 this way. Congrat to Bird (aka Rich) 10.23 @131 on pump gas - TurboBuicks.com
Keep the timing low(17-18) and the afr a little fat. I have never been to the dyno but according to the calculators i am somewhere in the 650 rwhp range.

You have one of the most impressive TRs on this board, IMHO. That's really haulin the mail for a true pump gas car. Seeing numbers like that, one would automatically think your combo would include a stroker rotating assembly, a "top secret hush hush spec" roller cam from one of the big-name engine builders, an intercooler that took up the entire front end and a car that was put on a serious diet. Such is not the case! You even run through a full 3" exhaust, IIRC.

I salute your efforts man. You have one hell of a sleeper!:cool:

You have one of the most impressive TRs on this board, IMHO. That's really haulin the mail for a true pump gas car. Seeing numbers like that, one would automatically think your combo would include a stroker rotating assembly, a "top secret hush hush spec" roller cam from one of the big-name engine builders, an intercooler that took up the entire front end and a car that was put on a serious diet. Such is not the case! You even run through a full 3" exhaust, IIRC.

I salute your efforts man. You have one hell of a sleeper!:cool:

Very kind words. Thank you very much:) .

Hard to say what my HP is. But on 93 my car went 10.91 @ 128 with a soft 1.70 60' on a small 255/50/16 DR. But that is with a 4.1, so the cubes help. Wish I could have put a slick on it before I had issues.

For ur 109 or S2?

The 109. Should be an easy 600 on 93 and 850hp (I might need a little more wheel though) on Q16 and alky. Thats as hard as ill push it. No point in finding out how much it will take. I could do what i wanted since i dont have to adhere to any rules like TSM. I.e 4 bolt GTS turbo and it already has the Champion GN1 intake that matches the race ported heads. Not worth it to me sincew the s2 will take whatever i will be throwing at it. Should check in around 1000hp at 30psi. I dont ever plan on running 93 in the S2. Theres no point in it either since its nearly 10.0:1 and i can afford constant Q16:tongue: . If i do throw 93 in it it will be kept under 22 psi and low timing. Id bet it will belt out about 750hp at 22 psi though:wink: . Im undecided on the turbo thus far. Technology keeps changing so im waiting till the end for the turbo.