How much for a rear main seal job?

turbobully

For those of you that have had rear main seal replaced recently how much did it cost you?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

2 hrs at a shop usually though it's possible to complete in an hour. If you don't supply the parts plan on about another $100. Gasket, seal, oil, filter, and 2 cans of brake parts cleaner. Expect to pay $325 out the door if no other issues are found.

Also to be included to what Bison has mention, you will also need to look and possible replace the oil pick up tube.
If you haven't replace the timing chain and nylon cam sprocket, include that also since you are going to use Razor Alky system.

Thx for the tips. It prob has the orig rope seal in timing cover but isn't that a completely separate affair?

I will be replacing my timing chain/gear set, probably oil pan gasket, oil pick up tube, maybe rear main seal and should I also look into the timing cover rope seal?

Last edited:
Thx for the tips. It prob has the orig rope seal in timing cover but isn't that a completely separate affair?

The answer is yes and no
both are individual replacement, the only different is once you replace the timing chain and cam sprocket you will have to remove or lower the oil pan cover since the timing chain cover slide onto the block dowels, then you can raise the oil pan cover up to the timing cover to be bolted.
Here you can see I have one dowel showing, the other one came off with the timing cover, and was replaced after I clean the block and timing cover.

Attachments

• Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 421
I think he is paying someone to do it. Just wanted him to see how long and how much it can be based on Bison's post.
I'm surprise he hasn't ask anyone on how much would it cost to do a timing chain, cam sprocket replacement since this is also important if he going to use Alky System

I'm surprise he hasn't ask anyone on how much would it cost to do a timing chain, cam sprocket replacement since this is also important if he going to use Alky System

The alky system itself doesn't really necessitate the timing set. Any original timing set is just plain old and in need of replacement due to the nylon gears; even stock power will chew them up. Just a good tune on plain ol' pump gas or simply wanting to drive the car at all should get a timing set.

The alky system itself doesn't really necessitate the timing set. Any original timing set is just plain old and in need of replacement due to the nylon gears; even stock power will chew them up. Just a good tune on plain ol' pump gas or simply wanting to drive the car at all should get a timing set.
I do agree the timing chain and cam nylon sprocket should be change of it's age, and I read on a turbo Buick site if one is going to increase power including the use of Alky the timing chain and cam sprocket needs to be replace.

I don't think Koshe wants to run Alky, but just trying to get his rear main seal leak under control so that he can enjoy his car without leaving a trail of smoke and a qt of oil at the stop light. :p

turbobully started this thread on how much would it cost to do a rear end seal, Bison answered him, and I added some comments including the Alky system since his sig. claimed he was going to install an Alky system.

Is there a missing secret code; what dose this mean? @Koshe

Just do it your self.
Easy only takes a few hrs on your back you'll save a few hundred bucks

If you put the @ symbol and a member's screen name, it alerts them of the post/thread.
@GNONYX
HI David, I now understand what that means, it's another way of subscribing the thread, but Koshe didn't ask about the Alky system, turbobully stated that info in his sig.

For some damn reason my alerts only work 1/4 of the time I think it has to do with me posting origonlly from the TB app rather then on the PC that's interesting about the @ I was wondering what that was all about as well.

I don't have a lift and no heat in my garage I would rather pay the extra $200 then freeze my ass off under the car cursing at my bloddy knuckles, plus i really don't want to F this job up... Sounds like its going to be a lot more $ if I change the timing chain, cam button, and rear main but if thats what I should do to avoid blowing up the engine I will do it. I have also been told I should install a shift kit and a higher stall converter with my combo but is all that nessicary? I really only plan to bring this car to the track 1 or 2 X's just to establish some times so I am not talking BS when I go to shows and talk cars with buddies and claim high 11's :D

So after thoroughly reading through the entire post it sounds like I should defiantly be replacing the timing chain, cover gasket, and cam sprocket. So like GNONYX said above whats the rough ballpark to do the entire job? I had my timing chain and seal replaced on my old GN but it was too far back to remember the cost.

Cost will depend on where you live. If you buy the parts yourself, you will save money, as most places mark up parts. Here in SC the going rate is $75 to $95 an hour. The job should not take more then 3-4 hours.