how much did I leave on the table

malibu78

Went to the track on Saturday and the GN ran great. 11.48, 11.50, 11.50. As you can see the car is consistent as hell all MPH were between 117.75 and 118.26. My question: I am running a 29.5 by 9 inch slick. A couple of GN guys at the track said if I run 28inch tall slick I would pick up 3-4mph and 2-3tenths.:dunno: What is your opinion. Car has the stock 3.42 in it. All input appreciated.

Its possible, we'd have to know your set-up... I wouldn't think that much, but maybe a few MPH's..

Its possible, we'd have to know your set-up... I wouldn't think that much, but maybe a few MPH's..

TE62
front mount
2800-3200 stall ( lockup )

02 volts .765
0 KR
TT chip 27 degrees of timing in first 26 in 2/3

Went to the track on Saturday and the GN ran great. 11.48, 11.50, 11.50. As you can see the car is consistent as hell all MPH were between 117.75 and 118.26. My question: I am running a 29.5 by 9 inch slick. A couple of GN guys at the track said if I run 28inch tall slick I would pick up 3-4mph and 2-3tenths.:dunno: What is your opinion. Car has the stock 3.42 in it. All input appreciated.

The flip side of the coin is that you could run out of gear at the end of the track. Are you locking the converter?
I have a buddy who bolted up 28X9R15's to a set of rims and another set of 29X9R15's. He consistently ran better times with the 29's.
As stated above, what were your RPM's?

What is your 60 foot times? foot brake? And have you been trying to tune this? Leaving and tuning is the most important thing for us. If you are leaving soft then the power will come on differently everytime and if you are trying to control it pushing throught the lights with the gas pedal then you could not be leaving hard enough at times.

Car was tuned last run was 11.48 with o2 at .765 after fp at 47.5 with line off and richening the fuel curve all the way through the chip. The run was made with 23lbs of boost open dump (worth a consistent 2.5-3 tenths. Foot brake launch at 9-10lbs. Locking convertor once the car goes into third the is pulling about 4600 rpms through the traps. I know with bigger injectors like a motron 60 I could turn the boost up to 28lbs. I think (and whatever that's worth) for only 23lbs of boost car runs great. TE 62 is gotta be good for high 10's. 60ft 1.56 to 1.58 worst was 1.589.

Car was tuned last run was 11.48 with o2 at .765 after fp at 47.5 with line off and richening the fuel curve all the way through the chip. The run was made with 23lbs of boost open dump (worth a consistent 2.5-3 tenths. Foot brake launch at 9-10lbs. Locking convertor once the car goes into third the is pulling about 4600 rpms through the traps. I know with bigger injectors like a motron 60 I could turn the boost up to 28lbs. I think (and whatever that's worth) for only 23lbs of boost car runs great. TE 62 is gotta be good for high 10's. 60ft 1.56 to 1.58 worst was 1.589.

I would not lock the converter until you hit 90 - 95 MPH. What MPH is the converter locking at? You may be locking to early.

I don't know the mph I lockit right after it shifts into drive

Locking the converter to early will bog the engine down. That right there will hurt the 1/4 mile times. You need to experiment in the future and lock it at different MPH's. Start at 90 MPH then 95 MPH and see if that helps your times. You may even need a higher MPH before locking. Every car is a little different.

I think it sounds like your trying too hard. You need to get the car to run consitantly even if its not near as fast as it should run. Then work it faster and faster. If you are dead set at a number, you can get mad and overlook too many things that will cost you money or your sanity. You need to enjoy your car first then work it faster.

At 4600 you're probably barely in third gear at the traps. I would guess that your car will ET better with the 28's. Especially since you're locking the converter.

IMHO, you need to be closer to 4800-4900 through the traps. The 28's will probably put you pretty close.
I have my chip lock my converter at 88-90mph which seems to be just about ideal. On the occasions that I manually do it, I wait a couple seconds after the 2-3 shift. Don't want it to happen too quickly after the 2-3 shift or you'll drop the rpm down out of the good torque curve.

Since you have the adjustable chip, I wouldn't be fooling around with fuel pressure adjustments at all. Get it set where it's recommended to be for that chip (probably about 43 line off) for good street manners. Use the chip for what it's designed to do, make you fueling adjustments with it.

I picked up about a half MPH by locking as soon as I hit 3rd as opposed to waiting a few seconds. But every car is differen

I would think you would pick up by going to a 28" tire.

I think it sounds like your trying too hard. You need to get the car to run consitantly even if its not near as fast as it should run. Then work it faster and faster. If you are dead set at a number, you can get mad and overlook too many things that will cost you money or your sanity. You need to enjoy your car first then work it faster.

yes I am trying hard to go fast. Believe me, you I know about tuning etc. That's why I'm on the board getting as much info as possible. The car is consistent as hell 3 runs 11.48, 11.50, 11.50 and all runs were within .5mph. I want to run safe and fast and the car according to many I talk to there is nothing left in the motor/tune with 009 injectors. Sure I could turn up boost past 23lbs and lean it out and boom!!! The 02 volts were .765 and no Knock. Played with the fuel mixture timing etc. First started with just 1/8 mile passes to ge the tune in and then went for the 3 blasts. Just want to go as fast as possible and not run on the ragged edge where one mistake and I have a beautiful car with a blown motor. Thanks for the input. I'll take any and all

If you gain 1.5 mph locking the converter with the same tall tires then that says you probably aren't losing anything significant.