How much alky do I need with this TA61

You're right. And the only mod to the controller was when you told me to turn it I think in the direction that makes the alky turn on a tad sooner. What's the factory setting again.

Now that I think about it, I do remember the higher turn on point putting less alky in the bottom end. Don't know what I was thinking. Ok cool, I still got it lol. Not losing it :)

Last edited:
Turnon points to 10 o'clock. Put at meter at the 12 o'clock position on the Turnon control and set to 2.2 vdc

Julio

Ok, new chips in and on the first try it idled awesome. Got it up to temp, drove around the neighborhood with it and it was awesome. 129 block learns, idle at around 13 afr which is tits, and all was good. Came home after the shakedown drive and begun my pre flight checks. Boost at 15, timing's good, fuel pressure's at 43. Washed the windows, started it back up and bam, right back to where I was the past three years; 14.7 or higher idle, and not only that, my iac says 00. Wow. This car man... Makes me think of a can of gas and new insurance money...

Update: Ok, blocked off my pcv valve an bam, iac immediately jumped to where it's supposed to be, and idle AFRs went back to 13 and idle smoothed right out. Now what do I do lol...

Last edited:
Ok, new chips in and on the first try it idled awesome. Got it up to temp, drove around the neighborhood with it and it was awesome. 129 block learns, idle at around 13 afr which is tits, and all was good. Came home after the shakedown drive and begun my pre flight checks. Boost at 15, timing's good, fuel pressure's at 43. Washed the windows, started it back up and bam, right back to where I was the past three years; 14.7 or higher idle, and not only that, my iac says 00. Wow. This car man... Makes me think of a can of gas and new insurance money...

Update: Ok, blocked off my pcv valve an bam, iac immediately jumped to where it's supposed to be, and idle AFRs went back to 13 and idle smoothed right out. Now what do I do lol...
Seems simple. Loose the PCV valve.

He means remove the PCV valve all together and don't run one.

He means remove the PCV valve all together and don't run one.
I wasn't running one but I was told by one of the higher ups in the Buick world to put it back in, it helps prevent some of my drips that I have a problem with lol. I mean with a little vacuum in the crankcase it sure would help with the leaks while running in my driveway :)

Restrict the PCV flow with an orifice. It will reduce the airflow into the engine and not totally eliminate the system. .050" is a good start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I did and it significantly reduced the oil in the catch can.

I wasn't running one but I was told by one of the higher ups in the Buick world to put it back in, it helps prevent some of my drips that I have a problem with lol. I mean with a little vacuum in the crankcase it sure would help with the leaks while running in my driveway :)

"Higher ups?" <--- We'll save this for some funtime one night in the middle of winter in the Turbo Lounge.:eek:

If you are running breathers in you valve covers or at other places the PCV does nothing but allow dirty oil filled air to enter your intake. It wont keep you crank case in vacuum if air is allowed in through breathers with much bigger openings anyway. It only works with a completely sealed engine. Like the factory intended it to. Forget the thing. Like I said earlier. Loose it.

Restrict the PCV flow with an orifice. It will reduce the airflow into the engine and not totally eliminate the system. .050" is a good start

.050 meaning reduce it TO .050 or start by reducing it BY .050.

.050 meaning reduce it TO .050 or start by reducing it BY .050.
It's unusual, but this time I disagree with Bison. Put a cap on the tube with a wire tie or clamp so you don't blow it off under boost. And stick a double sided hose barb nipple in the grommet with a tube up to a high spot with a little breather on it. Be creative. It's still a good hole for a breather. Unless you do what I did.......I had it welded closed.

Now back to your problem. Be sure your computer knows about all the air that enters your motor. I don't even like the idea of EGR. However a factory set up at least knows about that because it's the one pulsing the solenoid. I like clean breathable air. Have you seen the crappy nasty muck that builds up in a factory intake? Between the oil mist from a turbo, EGR, PCV, and just plain dirt........Yuck!

I agree, which is why I used to not run pcv, and my chip shuts off egr. Plus my egr's filled with epoxy anyhow :) Plus I run alky so everything stays clean. But I kind of need a little bit of crankcase vacuum though to stop my leaks.

I agree, which is why I used to not run pcv, and my chip shuts off egr. Plus my egr's filled with epoxy anyhow :) Plus I run alky so everything stays clean. But I kind of need a little bit of crankcase vacuum though to stop my leaks.
Ever thought about a vacuum pump? Some say if you need it you have problems. Some say to run them. And some say the electric ones are junk. I personally run an LS1 smog pump with a Hobbs switch to come on at 7psi. I have been running it for a bit now and my only gripe is not having done it sooner. Oh. I also run a pcv oil catch can in line with a stock pcv and a rjc pcv in line as a check valve.

Yea, my instructor also suggested that. He said his engine was dry as a bone after doing that. Trying to find ways around it for now as I need to keep the stock appearance :)

Ok, good news and bad news. Good news - found a good sized vac leak. My ****** vac servo held ZERO inches from either vac port. **** that servo. Replacing it shortly. Stuck a screw in it, let it idle, viola, it changes the idle by .4 on the AFR, so cool. After finding that I figured that may have been the actual leak making my idle poor. Took a little hose clamp I had on my PCV line restricting it's flow to see if it held. Nope. It wasn't that servo's leak that causes my idle, it's the PCV. As I loosen that hose clamp, my AFRs get higher and higher. Dam... I wanted full on PCV. Ah well, I'll take a diluted, restricted PCV any day. Maybe my shit job of putting "the right stuff" on my EGR is crappy, along with my throttle shaft seals. We'll see. I have a fix for both :) After this, the only place there can be a vac leak is the manifold. I wouldn't doubt it considering who assembled this engine... But for now, she idles around 12.5 and is smooth as a button :)