How many stage II blocks were produced ?

I thought there where more then 50 ON center blocks with cross bolted mains . Here is a couple pics of my bottom end that does have all 4 mains cross bolted :)

Attachments

• DD07DCBB-1A8C-41E7-9EB0-741C4877F6BD.jpeg
    DD07DCBB-1A8C-41E7-9EB0-741C4877F6BD.jpeg
    710.7 KB · Views: 113
  • E162E0F8-6587-4AF6-BEC0-F6C192510173.jpeg
    E162E0F8-6587-4AF6-BEC0-F6C192510173.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 1A4F6849-AAB2-424A-9D36-E9BF2392DF9B.jpeg
    1A4F6849-AAB2-424A-9D36-E9BF2392DF9B.jpeg
    891.1 KB · Views: 128
The TA blocks are not many also. I talked to Mike at BG and I believe it’s under 100. I have one of the first 50.....because it only has 2 motor mount bolts per side, not 3 like the later ones have.
Paul Ferry from HR Parts talked Mike into adding a 3rd because the motor mounts he was making could encompass an extra bolt. Mike agreed and added a 3rd to make the triangle pattern they now have.

Dank I think yours may possibly be one of the 25

Last edited:
Thanks MikeT.
I figured the info about the 2 motor mount bolts vs. the 3 would come into play years from now. Guys will be trying to figure out stuff about casting dates on the TA and this info will help.

So it seems that the early on center came without cross bolts, the second version had cross bolted front/rear and the final version had all mains cross bolted.
Yes. The cross bolted center versions had no dip stick provision.

So it seems that the early on center came without cross bolts, the second version had cross bolted front/rear and the final version had all mains cross bolted.
If that is the order....it tells you they were fixing weaknesses with each version. GM don’t retool molds if it’s not necessary.

Mine is front and rear only. In the pic you can see the front main cross bolt in the lower left for those who may not know.

MIKE'S MOTOR 014.jpg

Check out my link again on just the differences of the main caps. One is an 4.1 off center and the other is a 6 bolt main / 4 bolt front and rear. The 6 bolt main caps were way beefier.

https://turbobuick.com/threads/main-caps.424621/

I would guess on a few thousand stage 2 block were created under different configurations.

Mike, looking at pics of my block. It doesn't have the "hard ribs" where your oil pan bolts are located. Weird, never noticed that. I will check my other motors.

img_2446-jpg.193272

They do look less look pronounced. Any numbers on the front of the 6 bolt block like Danks?

I thought there where more then 50 ON center blocks with cross bolted mains . Here is a couple pics of my bottom end that does have all 4 mains cross bolted :)
Dank From the photos it looked like you had cross bolted center but it was the motor mount bolt. Yours appears to be the same as my block and not the latest version. Still very cool though and thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Mike,

The pics you posted of your 153 block are the most common version with cross bolted caps at the # 1 and 4 positions. As Rob stated once they cross bolted the #1 cap there was no provision for an internal oil pick up and there was no dipstick hole. The other block pic posted with cross bolted center mains is pretty rare. I've seen a few but never had on myself. As far as production #'s go for 153 blocks go it has to be many many hundreds if not more based on all the forms of racing Buick V6's once competed in, the # of teams that ran them and the # of engines they had, blew up etc.

Neal

Last edited:
If that is the order....it tells you they were fixing weaknesses with each version. GM don’t retool molds if it’s not necessary.
Hard to tell without seeing them in person side by side but I'm curios if the casting are totally different or just different caps with additional machining to the block.

Mike just got a look at my 153s and my cross bolted block is also stamp on the front of the block with U415 so does this mean this block was also supposed to go to Busch Series when I got the block it was a brand new virgin block
20180120_141548.jpg

Mike just got a look at my 153s and my cross bolted block is also stamp on the front of the block with U415 so does this mean this block was also supposed to go to Busch Series when I got the block it was a brand new virgin blockView attachment 315799
That's what I was told. I would like to know what the entire number means. The Gm rep/racer that mine came from said a lot of them went to a NC. He was at one of his GM dealerships in NC and my block was on the shelf in inventory..