How many stage II blocks were produced ?

It's also worth mentioning for those that did not know Champion Racing Heads came very close to bringing a iron block to the market. As I understand it they actually made it to the point of having 2 or 3 cast. Somewhere there was a picture of one and I don't remember where it was.

It's also worth mentioning for those that did not know Champion Racing Heads came very close to bringing a iron block to the market. As I understand it they actually made it to the point of having 2 or 3 cast. Somewhere there was a picture of one and I don't remember where it was.
Damn. If the price point was there, that would be bad ass. I know Buick is a limited market, but when a stage 2 block and TA block are almost 3X the cost of an aftermarket sbc and bbc, it’s a little hard to justify the cost...at least for me it is.

Maybe someday a Buick guy with deep pockets will buy the Champion project and finish it. Don't know that it could be bought just saying.

FWIW,

I took a look at the stuff I have lying around and it appears the digits that follow the "U" on the front of the On center block castings are sequential. If this is true it may shed some light on how many were actually made originally. I have one stamped 991, I know Mikes block is 1337. If someone knows for sure there block was one of the last ones offered by GM it would be interesting to know what # it's stamped with.

Neal

Last edited:
So there is only about 100 ta blocks sold?

Must have been forever for them to see a profit.

One of mine does have a odd string of numbers and letters stamped but it does have a U. Both are 153 all mains 4 bolts
20180121_162443.jpg
20180121_162642.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
FWIW,

I took a look at the stuff I have lying around and it appears the digits that follow the "U" on the front of the On center block castings are sequential. If this is true it may shed some light on how many were actually made originally. I have one stamped 991, I know Mikes block is 1337. If someone knows for sure there block was one of the last ones offered by GM it would be interesting to know what # it's stamped with.

Neal

Neal I may have mislead you on the block number, the sonic sheet was from a block that was for sale some time ago however it was for block U1337 and the sonic date was 9/12/96 so at least we know it's older than the sonic date. I think your on to something numerically my block is U1162 which fall really close to Danks.

One of my friends for sure has one of the last 25 and I'll ask if he would be so kind to give out the number.

Also those new crated blocks you guys are sitting on should have sonic sheet packed with them and would be very valuable in determining production dates.

I am fortunate enough to say i am a proud owner of one of the last 25 iron casting from back in 1999

Any chance of trying to get you numbers? I understand if the car is together it may not be accessible to you.

No, as far as I know, only 4 bolt front and rear are cross bolted. If no cross bolted, it has 2 bolt front and rear like mine.

That's what is cool about this Buick stuff always some oddball piece showing up.....definitely be neat if it is one of those.