How many people are running a PT&E SLIC

Gary Wells

White turbo Buick trailer park trash
As the title implies, "how many people are running a Precision Turbo & Engine Stock location Intercooler?
Does your passenger side bracket bolt to 2 locations on the SLIC or only 1 of the 2?

Both

But i had to fab the bracket to mount with both holes at the block .. I took a piece of flat stock & cut it to match both holes then bolted the bracket to that .. All hidden you would not even notice .. Rather then changing things where you can see them ..

hello; My supplied passenger side alum. bracket bolts to two locations on the SLIC.
IBBY

Just curious, about when did you purchase your PT&E SLIC?

hello; Got mine thru Cottons. Call Gerry (the parts guy) he'll hook you up if your interested. That IC was on BO for a few weeks but once it came in it was at my house the next day. 1 day to ship from Cottonland to my place in Mass.
My IC is in but I havn't driven it at all.
IBBY

Thank you, Ibby, and the other info was helpful also.
I have one. Mine came from FTS&S about 2 years ago. It would appear that I am having a hard time getting a correct bracket for mine. Evidently, incorrect brackets were made and supplied for the earlier ones.

hello; There have been changes with the IC and the bracket I believe is one. I also heard something about the core.
I know PTE is a vendor here and maybe they should cum on with a reply.
IBBY

The passenger side bracket has been incorrect from the get-go, although it might be correct now either through re-design of the SLIC and it's bracket or re-manufacturing the brackets correctly to the original design requirements. I would like a correct fitting bracket for mine and feel that it is their responsibility to supply one.

Gary

I BOUGHT MINE LAST NOVEMBER SO I THINK THEY STILL HAVE FITMENT ISSUES .. I WAS TOLD IF ITS NOT ALL STOCK SOME MODS WILL BE NEEDED .. I HAD TO LIFT MINE BECAUSE OF TA STYLE HEADERS SIT THE TURBO ABOUT AN INCE HIGHER SO I HAD TO BRING THE IC UP SOME .. NO REAL BIG DEAL . PATRICK AT PTE DID TELL ME IT WOULD BE OK WITH ONE BOLT .. BUT I JUST COULDNT LOOK AT IT THAT WAY . NOW THAT ITS DONE YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW THE DIFFERNCE ..http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/members/oil-man-albums-odds-ends-picture3592-dsci0057.jpg.

Appreciate the info, OILMAN, nice looking motor compartment. Mine only bolts to one. Considering that IBBY has a correct fitting one, that tells me that PT&E probably has no intentions of supplying correct brackets to those that were shipped incorrect brackets. Not Kool in my book.

Well

I would lossen it up and bolt the two ic bolts in .then twist the bracket to match up with the blockholes .thats what i did then i cut the two slots off to clean it up and bolted flat stock to the block then bolted alum bracket to flat stock .. Remember sealent on the long bolt ..

For such a great design and fab intercooler and scoop it's a bummer how the bracket seems to be mis-manufactured from the beginning. A smart mechanic informed PTE recently how he discovered that the bracket cutout is correct but bent in the opposite direction to what was designed DOH:eek: Try it yourself...make a cardboard cutout of the shape and bend it the opposite way - fits perfectly!

Hopefully PTE will run out of their "old" stock of brackets and will make correct ones available to the masses...especially as a individual replacement.

Really

for such a great design and fab intercooler and scoop it's a bummer how the bracket seems to be mis-manufactured from the beginning. A smart mechanic informed pte recently how he discovered that the bracket cutout is correct but bent in the opposite direction to what was designed doh:eek: Try it yourself...make a cardboard cutout of the shape and bend it the opposite way - fits perfectly!

Hopefully pte will run out of their "old" stock of brackets and will make correct ones available to the masses...especially as a individual replacement.
reason i called patrick . It seemed to be bent the wrong way but was assured this was not the case . So i moded mine to fit . Makes alot of sense .. I knew i was right .. But i didnt build it .. Soooo. But pte will always be my choice in go fast buick parts .. Been very very good to me ..

For such a great design and fab intercooler and scoop it's a bummer how the bracket seems to be mis-manufactured from the beginning. A smart mechanic informed PTE recently how he discovered that the bracket cutout is correct but bent in the opposite direction to what was designed DOH:eek: Try it yourself...make a cardboard cutout of the shape and bend it the opposite way - fits perfectly!

Hopefully PTE will run out of their "old" stock of brackets and will make correct ones available to the masses...especially as a individual replacement.

I informed PTE about two years ago that their right side bracket was joggeled (bent) the wrong way. Was told that they knew about the problem, but had a bunch of the bad ones they wanted to use up, before reordering correct parts.:confused:

I was kind of surprised to here this from such a great vender, that makes great parts. IMO, this is the finest production SLIC ever made for our cars. I would like to think that they've corrected this problem by now and are not still selling bad parts, two years later?

Hopefully, someone from PTE will post up and set things straight.

Mike Barnard

Mine does not line up either

i got a very nice, used PTE SLIC from someone on this board. i had to fab the passenger side standoffs that hold the pass side bracket and get a longer h20 bolt because previous owner no longer had these (this was known prior to completing sale).

Anyway, I know i got the bracket height located properly because this is determined by the engine block holes. With the SLIC level and lined up with turbo outlet and drvr bracket, the passenger side bracket only lines up with the bottom IC stud to top bracket hole. I cannot get both studs to fit on the bracket unless i tilt the IC down 2" on the passenger side. the bracket has to be angled when doing this, and the whole set-up looks messed up.

Interesting thing is that previous owner did not recall any problems with positioning, but he did say the turbo had to be tilted down quite a lot to line everything up. i did not think this should be necessary, so i run it with only one IC stud bolted to the bracket. not ideal, but works, is lined up correctly with everything else, and seems pretty secure in engine bay.

I think i'll fab my own bracket at a later date with the IC stud holes approx 2" higher.

Nice intercooler, stupid crappy mounts. Hate how mine sits.

hello; As stated in prior post. For any production company to use up old wrong parts is something that's way off base and should never be done.
I can't under stand that. But I know of improved designs and the use of different materials for things but this product should fit in all applications on a 86/87 TB with no mods needed. Including brackets. In my package I got 4 standoffs for there FM. No big deal just info.and that sort of stuff happens.
IBBY