How long ago did ATR go out of business?

twodafloor

Twodafloor
Was their stuff all that good? If so why belly-up? People keep asking for their stuff on this board like it's the greatest- Just curious?

I would guess more than a decade since they folded it up. Probably more.

Their stuff was top notch and had a price tag to match. The tr market is only so big. Hard to turn a dime consistently on such a small market.

Good stuff like their rear sway bar still command top dollar on the used market cause it just works.

The founder, Phil Griffith, sold the business in 1997. It lasted two or three years after that, then closed up abruptly. The new owner had no clue how to run the business, and it *almost* got purchased by former employees, but it was too late by then.

I'd say he got out when the gettin' was good.

I bought a new sway bar in 2005 when they were on their last legs. So 8 years.

I bought a Sway bar in 2005 so 8 years.

Most of the stuff was good. Their stainless exhaust was the best out there for the TR's Mine is going on 10 years old

Yeah, that kind of makes sense. I did see them at the GS Nat's in around 2003 or so. The new owners tried to make it happen but didn't have much success.

Best MAF ever built .Im supprised no one has reproduced there Exhaust.Someone got the jigs?They were Auctioned off
I have 4 sway bars 3 single shots 6 MAF pipes and a crossflow exhaust .The stainless steel was hard to beat

Great stuff, when they were good. Seems like the new owners tried to expand too much and cover a bunch of different cars. I sold many of their parts when I had my shop, people still have the stuff on their cars today. Phil was the man. Replace the captain...the ship sinks

Yeah IIRC it was around 2003.
I have a ATR Crossflow exh and the muffler welds were ground too thin when they built it originally (I installed in 2000) and the case of the muffler broke loose and the iternals were rattling like crazy and it sounded like hell.
Call ATR and they apologize for my issue and tell me their exhaust systems have a lifetime warranty and all I have to do is send them the old muffler and they will send me a replacement.
No problem..... I send it to them and they called me and said they recieved it and they were building me a new muffler and it will be headed my way with in the week.
I get the muffler and its like artwork on the welds and slapped it back in the car.
2 months later ATR folded and went under...boy I got lucky!!
Exh system is still in the car and ...knock on wood...its holding up fine. Love the sound of it!!

I actually got 2 swaybar's when I ordered mine. It took so long I called and complained. They sent me a used bar they had in stock. 1 week later the new one arrived, and I wasn't about to take the other one off.

You know I still have one of there old catalogs somewhere, just never threw it away. My son purchased a ATR DP not too long ago. Good stuff even all these years later. Too bad they are gone.

I miss ATR.. kind of. I did a lot of their chips there at the end.. pretty sure they never paid me.

I have 2 cross flows and some other stuff from ATR, still running them hard. I did my part to keep them afloat that's for sure.

Still have that old catalog too.