Let’s talk about… OIL

TireFryer

The New Kid
I did it. Bye bye 100$ worth of vr1. Hello 25$ worth of shell rotella t4. The bottles I get around here still have all the zinc and stuff in it. I still added a tiny bit of zddp. To be safe. I know others (scooby doo) have run a million passes on t4… wondering how it’s gonna hold up. Have the woodward dream cruise this weekend so I’ll probably put 300 miles on it this weekend. Vr1 was nice but it’s too expensive for me. I’ll update the thread as time goes on. Why not use rotella? Let’s chat. I’m curious

Sorry its so expensive by you, under $8 over here, but im a Vr1 guy , i even do a shot every morning with coffee :coffee:

QS Syn Oil.JPG

$21 at Walmart
($4.25 / qt.)

Last edited:
I use amsoil 10-40 zrod because I don't trust comp cams lifters...

On a hydraulic roller motor I would probably use whatever full synthetic is cheapest. I do like synthetic because it's more durable when you turn the car off after beating the piss out of it and there's still oil sitting in the hot turbo.

I looked up all the letters and stuff on the back. The stuff I get doesn’t have the “this oil doesn’t have zinc” label on it
If you perform more research, I think you will learn the zinc content has been reduced below the recommended levels for flat tappet lifters in the Delo & Rotella type of diesel oils also.

Brad Penn racing oil is well thought of.

Check VR1 pricing on Amazon.

The 1200ppm in Rotella is plenty. It's the upper limit of what you want, really.

Don't add more ZDDP to something with 1200ppm of ZDDP already. There's a balance. As the oil ages, the ZDDP breaks down into zinc oxide and phosphoric acid, which can start eating at stuff. The additive package combats that acid formation, but the additive package is designed to fight 1200ppm, not 2000+. If you overwhelm the additive package, the acid can start eating metal parts.

Not really sure where I read it but the Quaker State (not sure if high mileage or not) was one of the top rated oils, and I think the best bang for buck overall. Really wish I had the link but pretty sure I got it from one of the 1000's of oil threads on this site. 😆

Not really sure where I read it but the Quaker State (not sure if high mileage or not) was one of the top rated oils, and I think the best bang for buck overall. Really wish I had the link but pretty sure I got it from one of the 1000's of oil threads on this site. 😆

Ttype6 posted that article a while back. Miss that guy, he really helped me a lot... Here it is MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA Take it for what it's worth. Many old timers here get bent over oil threads like this, and I get it, but oil formulations change and new products enter the market all the time. I think it's a good thing to have these discussions from time to time and if you don't want to read another oil thread then maybe just don't open it? ;) :)