How fast are you guys going w/t-tops?

B.B.

Immature Member
I just wanted to know what the fastest cars were going with t-tops and no roll bar(cage)?

Can the cars handle low 12, high 11 sec passes?(My strip(1/8) doesn't have tech inspections, if you can get it to the starting line you can race it)
:eek: :D

Not very fast, 108mph so far. I dont have lofty goals, high 11's on my N/A crank and I will be satisfied

Times are in my sig. I don't do bobzai launches because of my T-tops. If I ever get a rollbar/cage, maybe I'll try to yank the fronts like alot of people but until then, I like the top end charge.

Everyone gets overly worried about going "too fast" or launching "too hard" with T-tops. I've only heard about things flexing and cracking, but in about 7 years of following these cars extremely close, I have never seen any such results in person. I have known guys pulling some pretty hard 60' ft times with t-top cars, that were turning ET's that got them kicked out of the lanes for not having bars. I can say that much. Unless you're running up there with Jack Cotton's timeslips or faster, dont worry too much. Stiffen the car up with some rear seat braces, and the front frame braces. They'll not only serve as extra protection, but they'll cut down on the rattling and squeeking of the t-tops. They're still on my list. I've heard nothing but good about them.

One thing that will always crack over time no matter what you do, is the paint across the top of the windshield frame.

Pete Bernards T-top GN goes 8.40's @ 14?. He obviously has a cage but his tops do a lot of flexing on every pass. He's never had one break though.

Jacob

I've ran my GN for the past 10 years at an IHRA track where you aren"t required to have a cage until 11.50. I've ran 11.60"s for 5 years with no T top problems. I do have the cross braces in the trunk and the extra body bushings that really stiffened things up. The 11.43 was at an NHRA track and I was asked to leave, but it was worth it.

Have been 7.60s with 1.63 60 fts with no problems in 1/8 mile. Have not had a chance to 1/4 mile it yet but should go high 11s.

I went up to 55 mph until mine let loose and took off like a bird!

Of course you should be able to faster if you actually latch it instead of forgeting about after you just repainted your car:D

dfast1: I'll bet you started thinking twice about those kinda things afterwards. ;)

My t-tops were only ever taken off the car ONCE.. ever.. and that was a long time ago. Havent been taken off since, and I dont plan to either. However, I do plan on replacing the seals and anti-rattle strips in the future. Since they are weathered on the outer edges, and rattle like crazy. Once I get all the braces, they should make a huge difference too. But that'll be the only time I pull mine off, is to replace the weather stripping. Other then that, I'm not a real big fan of the t-tops. I like them to stay sealed up and become solid and leak-free. Who knows? I may get a hair up my butt and pull them out one beautiful day, put 'em in the trunk, and head for the beach. But it's doubtful. They're tinted limo, but still gets hot in the sun. I've already cut out some foam-board stuff from the craft store to fit up in them as shades. Works fine until I have the money to blow on the real thing, which will fit and look much nicer, I'm sure. :cool:

I wish someone would pop up with some solid tops. Could have them painted with the car. I've seen these somewhere a long time ago on a GN, but have no clue where they came from. All my friends think they're great. "Man, you got a GN with t-tops too??" They'll have no clue how much of a pain they are until they actually own something with them.