How does my Combo look

Justin85

Ok I need some help and advice with my build.

I have a fully built SGI block with TRW pistons 30. a new turbo crank new rods, billet mains, Arp studs , girdle , 206-206 roller comp cam, Harland sharp rocker shaft. ported heads. High volume oil pump Kit.

My bolt on parts are as follows
Stock location 23 row Intercooler Gbodyparts
A TE44 Turbo
9.5 2800 lock up TC
Terry Huston DP with biggie puck, Test pipe as well as a 2.5 dual exhaust
brand new fuel pump walbro 255
Hotwire Kit
3" up pipe
Custom built cold air intake.
Rebuilt transmission
Girdled rear end.
Alky Control kit
Powerlogger
Wideband 02 sensor

My question is what am I missing if I'm missing anything from this combo? Or what would be better?

I'd toss that HV oil pump and put a stock sized up pipe back on.

you didn't mention injectors, chip, MAF or any scanning tools.

I knew I forgot something, It has a TT chip and 60 pound injectors as well as LS1 MAF and I mentioned a Powerlogger.

I'm wondering why you would suggest to remove the HV oil pump? Also what is wrong with the 3" up pipe? Just curious earl.

High volume pumps make too much pressure and will cause a lot of extra problems such as leaks. If your using a high volume pump at least put the stock pressure spring back in.

Rose I believe has a nice set of SS ATR headers for sale. If you can afford them PM him.

Brandon.

Because I bought my engine from a shop and did not request the build I'm kind of scared to change anything to the block it's self for the break in. I don't want something to go wrong then he's like oh you changed the oil pump that's why. How hard is it to change oil pumps? And how can I tell if its a high volume front cover?

Hi Justin,

The gears on a high volume oil pump are taller (longer overall by 1/4") & will utilize a plate between the housing & bottom cover. If you have your old motor handy, you can compare to see if this extra plate exists. This extra 1/4" thick plate should be clearly visible . If you do a search on HV oil pumps you should see some pics.

See page 76 , item TA1505

http://www.taperformance.com/PDF/TAPerformance_Catalog.pdf

Here's a link on e-bay that shows you what a Melling HV oil pump kit looks like….notice the 1/4" thick plate. That's what you'd be looking for on your shop built motor to confirm its got a HV oil pump installed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Melling-K-20IHV-Oil-Pump-Rebuild-Kit-High-Volume-Buick-V6-350-V8-Kit-/331111018596?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Buick&hash=item4d17c13064&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
I'd go for a RJC power plate and a bigger turbo, like the new 6262 or an old school TE-62. I've ran a 44 and it's a great little turbo but when I went to a TE-62 I loved it, ran it on a full built roller engine for 6 years, As far as spending big bucks for headers ?? A good ported set of stockers will take you into the deep 10's and even high 9's. Ask me how I know?

Justin,
Here's the depth difference from stock to hi - volume and all the hi-volume ones I've ever seen the seal goes in on the front side of the cover, stock covers from the back side. You don't just change oil pumps, you have to change front timing cover and all.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
I have the RJC power plate as well I forgot to mention that. I would love a new turbo but a lot of new parts that are needed to make the car run 100% are taking priority this year. And hell I've never had much experience with fast cars before I better start off learning with the TE44 at 23 pounds of boost. If anything I will make sure my oil pressure is on spot and not to high as I've seen the gear crack right of the shaft spinning it and that didn't look to pretty.

Yes Justin I remember that and almost commented that that's the first time I've ever seen that or even heard of it, VERY rare failure !! If a guy would just do the oiling mods to a stock GM front cover you'll have ALL the oil pressure you'll need. I understand 100% about spending money on more important things and that's being very wise. Just go ahead and run your 44 as it will take you into the 11's all day long.

next year I plan to replace it with a PE6262 ball bearing turbo. So until then I will have to go slow ;D ahaha if you want to call 11 seconds slow.

It's possible to have a HV pump and no spacer plate. For that to happen it has to be a POS chinese cover.

The HV pump won't make any more pressure than a standard pump (unless your engine is waaaaaay worn the hell out). The pressure is set by the spring. The volume of oil is dependent on the pressure spring and the oil clearances. You can put gears in there 10 feet tall and they'll only flow what the bearing clearances let out (at the same pressure). All the taller gears do is increase the load on the front cam bearing, timing chain and beat up the oil a little more than necessary.

As far as the larger up pipe, it won't increase flow but it will increase the amount of space you have to pressurize before boost hits the intake valve. Since it's upstream of the throttle body, it won't count as plenum area.