How Do You Finance Your Hobby?

Being an engineering student taking 18 credits a semester I really don't have time to work much. Luckily I have a family shop I work at and in so I can work on weekends when possible. But when I'm not making money I'm usually working on the car. If you've been following my build thread you'll know that everything done to the car is by me or funded by me. It took me there straight summers, weekends, nd vacations from school to be able to pay for my motor and trans. Besides that I've done all the work and paid for all the parts myself. Although I will do anything I can to make some money. I've parted out cars, rebuilt cars, done motor swaps...the list keeps going. Nothing bothers me more then people my age driving unbelievable cars, no job, then tell me they bought/built it but that's another rant for another day.

Part time car restoration buisness run at night after my normal day job as Test Engineer. Work on mostly high end restorations with customers that are willing to pay for detailed work.

Allan G.

I sell people used Nissan's, I get the cash up front and then just before delivery I tell them the clutch suddenly went bad. I explain to them that I couldn't possibly let them have the car with a bad clutch so I get them to pay me for a clutch job...best part is its free money cuz it was never bad to begin with...im so smuckin fart

Ok I'll throw this out there..... disposable income for hobbies or 401k contributions? which do you put more twords? At 36 years of age I've been throwing 15 % of my paycheck at the 401k for 13 years.....i read that the average is 5% at my age.

I guess i like to sacrafice now so i dont have to later

Ok I'll throw this out there..... disposable income for hobbies or 401k contributions? which do you put more twords? At 36 years of age I've been throwing 15 % of my paycheck at the 401k for 13 years.....i read that the average is 5% at my age.

I guess i like to sacrafice now so i dont have to later

I've been rolling over the same 401k I started back when I first joined the military 17 years ago. Same 15% too..:D

D-I-V-O-R-C-E-D the money hungry b***ch!

Pay alimony and child support and STILL made money on the deal.

I work a 9-5 that pays well. It's stressful, demanding and sometimes goes well beyond 9-5 but it leaves me with a few hundred extra dollars per paycheck after all the expenses/bills/savings/401k/etc to put to my hobbies.

Bison is 100% correct about not putting this stuff on credit. My wife and I made that mistake in the past and it has taken and will take many years to correct it. I moved all our CC/high interest debt to a much lower interest fixed personal loan that will be paid off in a maximum of 3 years and all but one CC is put away. Our goal is to be debt free except our mortgage by 2016, and out of CA by 2020.

I own my own buisness hauling cars and i have a driver in an expedite van also..and its been a learning experience...Once you can seperate your regular job and pay your bills/expenses. then do lil jobs on the side and keep the $ seperate...There will always be a bill or something that comes up to make you spend ur $$... You have put your hustle/side $ away and forget about it till you have enough to buy what you want... Play broke even if it hurts a lil...When you really are broke you always find a way to make it thru so use the same mindset to save....I dont smoke,rarely drink, dont go out like i used to.....Someone asked my gf y she let me buy rims for my car when we got kids :confused: I told them First of all the kids are fine....Second of all you smoke so itd be perfectly fine if i spend $6 a day on cigaretteso_O Lets see here:rolleyes: Wheels for my car +dragradials $1805 $6 a day on smokes x 365 days a year = $2190 Any questions?!!!

Well I'm a union carpenter make a decent check.Have a wife 3kids. An the wife has a good job,I just wait till her paydays an wait alil bit more till she falls asleep an bum a hundred out her purse an then play dumb when she ask's:)

2nd place is 1st place loser!

I am a low voltage tech, Voice/Data/ CCTV/Security systems/Fiber Optics/Access control, etc. Lots of overtime and I do side jobs as well.

Bryan

Ok, im 30 and I manage a carnival.(insert carny joke here) we do not go out in the winter, and I rehab our equipment during that time. Its 36hr 4 day week in a warehouse, and a paycheck to live on. In the summer its all 60-80+ hr weeks, and i make good money.(as long as it doesnt rain) I have to live on it year round though. I dont own credit cards and Ive had a mortgage for 5 years now. I only get "stuff" if I have money. If I cant pay in full, I dont need it.

I don't have a 9-5 job! I work 9am to 9pm for 4 days then get 4 days off then work 9pm to 9am then 4 more days off. I make more than twice the areas average family income. I bought the GN with cash and I just save up the money for whatever parts I need. We live in a modest home 85k which in the area is an average home. I prefer to have toys than a fancy house. We have a new (2 years old) gulf stream camper and I drive a 2003 Subaru Legacy back and forth to work. I paid cash for the Subaru. The wife drives the ugly @$$ Ford Flex as her daily driver. We take vacations by listening to the time share salesmen. We will be going on vacation in a couple months at their expense. We have done this a few times. You just have to be able to say NO! 9 years in the Navy taught us how to do more with less.

My wonderful wife and I are retired, but being a hitman for the Mafia on the side really helps me enjoy my Grand National and Vettes........the BOSS really likes my GN because of how fast I can get from one hit to another......the super discounts he gives me for bullets are a big help, too.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

My wonderful wife and I are retired, but being a hitman for the Mafia on the side really helps me enjoy my Grand National and Vettes........the BOSS really likes my GN because of how fast I can get from one hit to another......the super discounts he gives me for bullets are a big help, too.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National
Need an apprentice ? LMAO

Bryan