Hot Wire Plug-in location

mc71454

So I bought my GN with a bunch of moderate mods already done. I expected it to have a hot-wire kit already installed since it claimed to have 42.5 injectors, walboro 340, etc.

There is a plug/harness located between the rear bumper and the back of the fuel tank with wires that lead to the top of the fuel tank.

So isn't this where the hot-wire kit would plug in ? I am having detonation problems at 10 lbs and up. I would think increasing the voltage to the pump would be the first thing to do ?

many hot-wire set-ups take power off the post on the back of the alternator. Look to see if there is an extra wire that leads to a relay. The wire that activates the hot-wire relay is near the rear of the alternator and fron of the left valve cover so with the connections right there, the relay is usually not far. Common to just mount the relay to the inner fender where it can also make the ground connection. The only other connection would be the power that goes to the fuel pump - that wire will tap in near the wires that go to the top of the tank or if it is a fancy job it may be snaked into the tank directly to the pump.

Oh, about the knock. What are your O2's looking like? I would worry about the fuel system if your O2 volts are dropping off as your boost comes up

Yep, but it could be the factory wiring. Check on the back of the Alt. There will be another connection under the nut.
engine.jpg

So from the factory, there should be only one connection at the alt, that is what I needed to know as well.

on the O2 volts, the previous owner mounted the scanmaster too low, so I can't read it without really taking my eyes off the road. I am going to relocate it so I can actually see it while looking through the windshield.

Thanks for the replies..........

yep - one wire on the post

be very careful with knock due to lean conditions! It is a very good way to learn all about engine bearings and head gaskets

Some hotwire kits put the relay in the trunk. The stock FP wire is used to trigger the relay, and heavy gauge wire is run from the alt back to the relay in the trunk. Wiring from the relay goes through the stock wiring out under the bumper and the connector that hooks up the wires coming over the top of the fuel tank.

Blown&Injected said:
yep - one wire on the post

be very careful with knock due to lean conditions! It is a very good way to learn all about engine bearings and head gaskets

I have the boost limited to about 8 pounds for just light cruising.

Thanks,

I have been drag racing a long time and build my own motors and car...But the carbureted solid roller Big Block Chevy is on the other side of the earth compared to this new GN... ;)

Ormand said:
Some hotwire kits put the relay in the trunk. The stock FP wire is used to trigger the relay, and heavy gauge wire is run from the alt back to the relay in the trunk. Wiring from the relay goes through the stock wiring out under the bumper and the connector that hooks up the wires coming over the top of the fuel tank.

Thanks Ormand,

I'll have to poke around this weekend when I get a chance....

It is possible that the power is tapped off a different location. As mentioned, there are different ways to do it.

BTW, I did not mean to sound like you do not know about engine building, just making a statement about how mega awful a lean condition can be in these engines. Knock is bad enough in any engine, but in a six cylinder making lots of power under boost - it can break stuff real fast. Lots of people have spent thousands because a $100 fuel pump was not pumping as much as it should. It sucks to have a bottom end failure anytime, but due to a simple cheap part like a fuel pump is just like a kick in the teeth.

Blown&Injected said:
It is possible that the power is tapped off a different location. As mentioned, there are different ways to do it.

BTW, I did not mean to sound like you do not know about engine building, just making a statement about how mega awful a lean condition can be in these engines. Knock is bad enough in any engine, but in a six cylinder making lots of power under boost - it can break stuff real fast. Lots of people have spent thousands because a $100 fuel pump was not pumping as much as it should. It sucks to have a bottom end failure anytime, but due to a simple cheap part like a fuel pump is just like a kick in the teeth.

As I have been researching, I see what you mean, there isn't a heck of a lot of "leeway" with these monsters. Thaniks for the Heads up...

Tom

I'm not sure if the previous owner through in the directions for the scan master, but you can keep it low, it has a button on the bottom right, this is the recall button. After a run just hit this button and it will bring up the values of your O2 and the degrees of retard that the computer put in the motor to lower detonation. I thought about mounting mine on top the dash, but I didn't want to draw any more attention to my car. They sell for about $250, I hope this helps.
Chuck

but I didn't want to draw any more attention to my car
I have mine on the dash, and I'm afraid to drive it in Virginia- they have a law against radar detectors. Explaining the ScanMaster to some Va deputy is not high on my list of things to do.... Nor is going BACK to Virginia, to explain it to a magistrate..