Hot rod grand national build up

I love the way people think a xfi unlocks hidden horsepower.

Horsepower boils down to 3 things.

Boost
Fuel
Timing

It makes no difference what is doing the job. At the end of the day a xfi car with 25psi boost, 21 degrees of timing and a afr of 10.5 @wot will not perform any better that a stock ecu at the same levels. Sorry...

Rick

Thats what you get when you give a grand national to a bunch of small block Chevy guys. :ROFLMAO:
IMO.

RIck

Exactly, :D, but like Earl Brown said, they built a "sponsor/advertiser" car. 360 at the rear wheels is nothing to be ashamed of but could have been reached without the expensive fast/xfi but then again Turbotweak as a company probably doesn't make as much as Accel spends in advertising money with the magazine. If they really wanted to showcase their products they still should have gotten a Buick guru and made more power or they could have done what they do with everything else and put a LS in it. :p

They sure bashed the power plate good. To bad he only looked at it and claimed it was a restriction and spouted a bunch of BS instead of doing some testing. Most of the Buick guys are techy intellectial perfectionists who would love to prove this or that or understand how things work. The power plate has been through the ringer over the years and many technical savvy individuals have tested it in every way imaginable and came to the same conclusion. It performs exactly as we designed it to.

did anyone notice how they claimed they picked up 55hp and as much as 99 HP with just the Hemco plenum? Not saying it doesn't help over a stock plenum but that is nearly double what they picked up fixing all the problems, adding a turbo, DP, Plenum pump etc. Kinda makes them look foolish. Us TR enthusiasts recieved some press time but it did not really shed a very good light on any of us.

Cant understand why they deliberately were trying to hurt our business. Did it make them look that much better?

Well That makes sense. Ralph the owner of Hemco and Dan are good buddies. I doubt he was trying to hurt you Jace they just don't know any different. I just had a customer come in from there a few weeks ago that spent 30K there for a 109 build that blew up on the dyno before he picked it up and they told him they were not at fault. He knows nothing about tuning a chip car and will insists every customer buy some aftermarket ECU. Even a bone stocker. I wont waste any more time on that article

I built my entire engine for around 6k including all of the parts in my signature and a few other items. The result was 443 rwhp on 93 octane only and still a lot of room to grow with the addition of alcohol or race gas.

Last edited:
thanks mike,

Mike T,
did you read the fine print at the top of the invoice? That $6800 was for parts only. Quote "does not include computer recalibration services, general shop labor, misc small hardware, shipping or sales taxes."

Just think of how badass that car would have been if it had a 350 4bolt main, holley 600 and a torker II intake. 400HP all day long. :D

If the owner of the GN was on here he could have fixed it for half the $$$ they spent on parts and had some knowledge to boot.

I agree. They put all those parts on an engine that needs valve springs and possibly a flat cam. Hope he picks a better shop for the next phase.

thanks mike,

Mike T,
did you read the fine print at the top of the invoice? That $6800 was for parts only. Quote "does not include computer recalibration services, general shop labor, misc small hardware, shipping or sales taxes."

No I did not read that but my price included your front mount 325 IC (on sale at the time) that fits and works perfectly..... well worth the money.

I was pretty disappointed with that article, I dont think they put much research into it

1972 Chevelle 505
1972 dart swinger 340 4speed
1966 impala
1955 chevy pickup MickeyRat
2002 monte ss DD

1987 Grand National
Stock turbo ,Red 93 street tune chip, 206/206 comp cam, valve spring upgrade, Melling hv oil pump
37lb injectors, Ls1 maf with translator, Oil filter adapter upgrade
K&N filter

Sitting at home not installed yet:
AlkyControl "Razor" injection with 3 bar map, Hot wire kit, walbor pump upgrade, RJC Racing Airflow Distribution Power Plate

15x9 4.25 bs weld prostars 275/60
15x7 weld prostar