Hot air factory interior options

ShaunDonWe2

I don't wanna sound dumb even tho I own a 84 Gn also, but is it possible a late 84 Gn came with the famous black and grey interior? I've got a friend going to buy one in oh and it has black and grey interior. I've always known them to have the rare lier sigler interior as mines has it also. He has sent me pics I will post them in a moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

114bed5d355265cd700ff84622acf9cd.jpg
d4a79e8e85b89f3650692b9d4e89fa74.jpg
b812149b492bb299b8f46f02c7baf209.jpg
1692b0ac0cc570845e3ce12bc6c9c495.jpg
34561adfad8be89d1c7ccef487d8b848.jpg
cb393376bcdbf6278d6b2756ca314ebb.jpg
052597ff390953dc57eafe2e6dc32b3c.jpg
71351b4b58398776684b0e8a26968f1e.jpg
a3f7465e73d768aa3911b1bb6234f5d6.jpg
My friend said the guy has no rpo sticker in the trunk, no stickers in the driver door, and is the 3rd owner and owned it since 91.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

look and see if it has all the GN suspension stuff and the 8.5 rear end... someone might have put the motor, trans, and interior in a regular Regal but they usually don't bother with the stuff you can't see... the engine code also shows up in the VIN, as well as the T Type package which is what the GN was built off of. i don't know if it varies by state, but the title for my 84 T Type says something like "Buick T" instead of Regal..

From the pictures posted in this thread if that's the car being looked at, i would say that the seats in it are probably not original cloth material used on the GN seats from 85-87, looks like the same material used on the reproduction seat covers that have been available for quite a few years.

The head rests might be of the factory material for the 85-87 GN cloth interiors, but the upper / lower bucket seats and the back seat look exactly like the reproduction seat covers that been available for awhile. The front buckets have faded out some very similar to how the reproduction seat covers will like the one's that are on my 87 T's with a couple years of sun light exposure causing them to of developed a slight purplish black tint in some areas and the grey center of the seats look the same as the newer reproduction covers which differ slightly from the factory cloth and pattern.
The texture of the cloth from the factory was not as soft and smooth as the reproduction covers are, it had alittle roughness to it along with a different pattern visible in the cloth.
I don't believe you could get an 84 GN with cloth seats, but even if you could get cloth seats for that year it sure seems like those seats were recovered at some point and even the foam had been replaced on the ripped driver seat.

It'll be apparent looking under and over the car in-person to find out if it's a legit 84 GN or if it's the hot air engine and transmission that was transplanted into a different regal.
I'd get someone that was extremely familiar with these cars to go with that friend to help them look it over really well and make sure they don't get taken for a ride.
There's been alot of cloning going on with both hot air and intercooled GN's, so that's why it'd be a good idea to have someone go over the car with a fine toothed comb as they say.
The engine bay picture does make me ponder alittle, what is the story on the soft intake air box hose not hooked up to anything laying on top of the other connected plastic pipe coming from the air filter box that's going to the driver side of the upper intake?
It does appear to have a hydroboost brake system on it from the tiny bit of it in the picture that can be made out of, more pictures of the engine area would been helpful as would some underside pictures.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Little more facts on the cloth seats....

All the cloth seats started with the '85s. (Third brake light all started with GM productions cars with 86 models.) I have one of the very first 85s made. I ordered my 85GN in August of 84. All the paper work we put in on the order listed the lier sigler leather seats also for my 1985. When my 85 GN showed up at the dealership the first week of November of 84. The first thing I said to the dealership was....where in the hell is my leather seats???? Everyone was scratching there heads with no clue what we were looking at as this was the first 1985 GN anyone had seen....surely not what the picture and brochure stated.

They had to call GM and found out the Lier Sigler could not handle the production for the 1985 cars. So GM went ahead with the cloth seats...not telling anyone of the upcoming change. Another interesting note since I ordered the car in good faith that GM was giving me leather seats as advertized and in my ordered contract, I really was pissed that I PAID for leather and got cloth with no compensation back for lesser product. Pretty much got a tough nuts letter back from the GM rep...with I still saved that letter.

So don't know the date that GN in photo was made, but if it is a 84 it has to be the last 84 model in the production line with my 85 being made right behind it with cloth seats in place. lol. By the way my car was built the first week of October of '84......oh and yes I still have my '85 ;)

Little more facts on the cloth seats....

All the cloth seats started with the '85s. (Third brake light all started with GM productions cars with 86 models.) I have one of the very first 85s made. I ordered my 85GN in August of 84. All the paper work we put in on the order listed the lier sigler leather seats also for my 1985. When my 85 GN showed up at the dealership the first week of November of 84. The first thing I said to the dealership was....where in the hell is my leather seats???? Everyone was scratching there heads with no clue what we were looking at as this was the first 1985 GN anyone had seen....surely not what the picture and brochure stated.

They had to call GM and found out the Lier Sigler could not handle the production for the 1985 cars. So GM went ahead with the cloth seats...not telling anyone of the upcoming change. Another interesting note since I ordered the car in good faith that GM was giving me leather seats as advertized and in my ordered contract, I really was pissed that I PAID for leather and got cloth with no compensation back for lesser product. Pretty much got a tough nuts letter back from the GM rep...with I still saved that letter.

So don't know the date that GN in photo was made, but if it is a 84 it has to be the last 84 model in the production line with my 85 being made right behind it with cloth seats in place. lol. By the way my car was built the first week of October of '84......oh and yes I still have my '85 ;)
Late 85's also had a 3rd brake light. Those that had it also seemed to have a powermaster brake system and had the 20 bolt oil pan

BPE2013@hotmail.com