Home Security Systems?

mjdwyer23

Woosh WaGoN
Hey Folks-
Due to some less than desirable circumstances, I am now looking to get a security system installed in my house (ASAP). I wanted to get some quick opinions and see what guys on the board have, like, don't like, etc. Thanks for the help!

ADT has some great specials most of the time. I would give them a call we had ADT installed for FREE and only pay around $30 a month for the service...

Mine is protected by dog,local police officer said it was still the best deterent:biggrin:

Kevin

just the other day i came across this and seems like a nice easy wireless setup..

L5000PK | Ademco Honeywell Lynx Touch Wireless Alarm Kit | Home Security Store

That is a great system and very easy to install. $299 is a very good price too.
I own (actually my wife does lol) a company that does low voltage systems. Security is one of our specialties. If you choose to install something yourself, I recommend the Lynx 5000. If you want it monitored I can do that cheaper than anyone else even though I am not local.
If you have a land line, you can use that or you can install a wireless module in that lynx panel that doesn't require a land line.

Be careful with ADT. Usually you deal with a dealer. There are hundreds of dealers out there and there is no telling if you are going to get a good one or not. Some install junk equipment, some will do an excellent job and hardwire the house. Usually if it's a 1-800-xxx-xxxx number you are dealing with a high volume dealer. Most dealers also put a 15-30 second dialer delay on the panel to "help reduce" false alarms. I think that's bs.

On the dog part....you will not believe how many after the fact jobs I do when people have dogs and people break in still. Unfortunately I have seen a few where the dogs were killed. I'd hunt down a mofo if they did that to my dog.

I have had good luck so far with ADT.... They will try hard to sell you the wireless system. It is easy for them to install.
I made them hardwire everything. Yes it cost a little more than they advertise if you do it this way. You can also put it on a cell system so they can't just cut your phone line. The basic system is still better then nothing. I had one put in my Monster in laws house and she loves it once she got use to it.....And a big dog...:biggrin:

That is a great system and very easy to install. $299 is a very good price too.
I own (actually my wife does lol) a company that does low voltage systems. Security is one of our specialties. If you choose to install something yourself, I recommend the Lynx 5000. If you want it monitored I can do that cheaper than anyone else even though I am not local.
If you have a land line, you can use that or you can install a wireless module in that lynx panel that doesn't require a land line.

Be careful with ADT. Usually you deal with a dealer. There are hundreds of dealers out there and there is no telling if you are going to get a good one or not. Some install junk equipment, some will do an excellent job and hardwire the house. Usually if it's a 1-800-xxx-xxxx number you are dealing with a high volume dealer. Most dealers also put a 15-30 second dialer delay on the panel to "help reduce" false alarms. I think that's bs.

On the dog part....you will not believe how many after the fact jobs I do when people have dogs and people break in still. Unfortunately I have seen a few where the dogs were killed. I'd hunt down a mofo if they did that to my dog.

Ya, 299 isn't a bad price, BUT, and it's a big BUT!! I would have to rob the mint to get enough $$ to pay for all the sensors I would need!! I live in a 3 bedroom basement rancher, with a walk out basement. That means 6 windows and a patio door down (plus the 2 garage doors). Up on the main level there's 4 more windows within reach of ground level, a front door and rear patio door, plus another side door and two more garage doors!!

Just way too many points of entry to be monitored to make it cost effective!!

If you don't have big dogs that roam around when not at home, motions can be a cheaper alternative.

Dont for get glass break detection as well.
Cameras can be had very reasonably these days. Nice 8 channel DVR's can be as low as $400.00. The big issue with DVR's is the placement. They need to be put to where they can not be accessed easily so a would be thief doesn't take the evidence with them.

Bryan

We use Frontpoint (I think it also goes be Alarm.com). It's cellular based. You can take it with you when you move. Lots of different options starting from the base with sensors on the doors and windows to detect open/close, along with glass breakage, motion, smoke, fire, carbon monoxide, video, etc. You pick your package, and they send it to you and you install it (very simple). Pretty cost effective, about $39 a month with varying initial costs that change based off of how many years you sign a contract for. Plus you can use your smart phone (BB, iPhone, Droid, etc.) to turn it on/off and set it up to receive notification of when a door or window is opened/closed. When my wife was deployed, I had mine set to send me notifications starting Friday afternoon and ending Sunday evening...so when I slept in on the weekends the kids couldn't open a door or window without it sending me an alert and waking me up.

And if that damn thing goes off...they will be calling pretty quick, and if they don't get a hold of someone (I think I have a tier of 4 numbers for them to call) they won't wait until they do to call emergency services. I only say that because when I first got it, I kept forgetting about it. And then of course there is the code word to remember for when you do call to shut it off. Pets up to a certain weight won't set off the motion.

Ya, 299 isn't a bad price, BUT, and it's a big BUT!! I would have to rob the mint to get enough $$ to pay for all the sensors I would need!! I live in a 3 bedroom basement rancher, with a walk out basement. That means 6 windows and a patio door down (plus the 2 garage doors). Up on the main level there's 4 more windows within reach of ground level, a front door and rear patio door, plus another side door and two more garage doors!!

Just way too many points of entry to be monitored to make it cost effective!!

if you dont have pets what about a motion sensor to cover alot of those areas you talk about??

if you dont have pets what about a motion sensor to cover alot of those areas you talk about??

Probably not a bad idea, but I'd still need several of them to cover the main areas: 1. Big oversized double car in the basement, 2. other half of the basement, 3. main levle double car, 4. main level house.

Oh well, I've got 6 long guns here so I guess they'll have to do for now.

Probably not a bad idea, but I'd still need several of them to cover the main areas: 1. Big oversized double car in the basement, 2. other half of the basement, 3. main levle double car, 4. main level house.

Oh well, I've got 6 long guns here so I guess they'll have to do for now.
Problem is the guns don't help when you're not home

Well, personal safety was the only reason I might consider a security system. Not all that concerned about burglery when I'm not home, insurance can take care of losses. And as for the cars, they would have to back up to the garages with a rollback to get any of them, and I am lucky enough to be surrounded by friends on 3 sides that know that would be an unusual occurance worth calling in.

they would have to back up to the garages with a rollback to get any of them, and I am lucky enough to be surrounded by friends on 3 sides that know that would be an unusual occurance worth calling in.

You own Buick's, Surely the're used to seeing the rollbacks :)

If you plan on installing the system yourself, I purchased a system from safemart. Purchase price near $1800.00 about five years ago. I'm the monitor of our system. Our system includes an ademco p20 panel with two keypads. The sensor setup is two glass breaks, two motions, all doors and windows are hardwired magnets, the main areas and garage has wired smokes. Our furnace is inside the house, so I added a wired CO detector. The phoneline tap is wired directly to the tip & ring with a active voice module. If the alarm activates, I can hear the activity in the house through the voice module. Just like ADT, you'd better have the correct pass phrase or I calling the authorities. Because cell phones are now phasing out land lines, I need to figure a way to control the alarm through broadband. I have full control of my alarm system by calling into the panel, just like an monitoring company. The only problem I've encountered is that I exceeded the output capacity by 500mah and had to add another a small circuit board to increase output capacity (for keypads, bells, glass breaks, smokes and voice module). The new motion sensors not only sense motion, but human body heat as well. Also if you have a pet, the height sensing range is adjustable to allow your pet to patrol an area without activating the motion detector.

well watching the news this morning they showed a clip of a purse snatcher that had on "video". :rolleyes: It was completely worthless.. Blurey enuff where all you could make out were bodys. So any "good" Camera's ?? I want to look at a video an SEE something besides just images ?? we already have a hard wire system in the house that we did when I built. Damm its an old system (84/85) :eek:

well watching the news this morning they showed a clip of a purse snatcher that had on "video". :rolleyes: It was completely worthless.. Blurey enuff where all you could make out were bodys. So any "good" Camera's ?? I want to look at a video an SEE something besides just images ?? we already have a hard wire system in the house that we did when I built. Damm its an old system (84/85) :eek:

Consumer grade cameras suck...do you need indoor , outdoor , both ? Cameras can cost as much as 16k . What distance do you need and how much area do you need to see from that distance ?

Consumer grade cameras suck...do you need indoor , outdoor , both ? Cameras can cost as much as 16k . What distance do you need and how much area do you need to see from that distance ?

Both... Outside (30') an be able to read a #plate on a car.. inside I want it so you can SEE who it is... BUT for $16k Ill just get a guy to sit in the driveway with his shotgun :p What about ones that I can watch the house from a computer as they are robbing me blind ?