Holy turbo destruction while engine break in!

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
Someone tell me this is normal to see this type of damage during an engine break in. The bearings look to show not only severe oil contamination but also looks to be an oil starvation probably due to crap in the feed holes. Because of the bearings failure I'd say it took out the thrust bearing then heated the compressor and turbine shaft all to hell. Keep in mind this is only 200 miles of break in. I tossed the oil at 10 miles (5 hrs run time) and now will do it for the 3rd time. I am running the canton oil filter with the turbo saver by TR Custom Parts. If its a turbo saver, I would hate to see the condition of the turbo without a turbo saver.

Thank God this is my break in turbo being used as recommended by the turbo builder. This turbo had new bearings at engine break in and was freshened. It was nice and tight, now its sloppy and let oil pass by

IMG_7224.JPG
IMG_7225.JPG
IMG_7231.JPG
IMG_7238.JPG
IMG_7240.JPG
IMG_7241.JPG
IMG_7242.JPG
IMG_7244.JPG
IMG_7246.JPG
IMG_7249.JPG

Definitely lack of lube.

Cut the oil filter open to see what's inside?

Looks like it had a bout of oil starvation. You can't say for sure what happened unless you knew the prior condition. Sometimes the thrust bearing takes a hit and won't show up till a few hits later. The ex side journal got really hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup, this is what was in the canton oil filter screen. There is a ton of junk, not large steel it looks like black ring seat debris. The oil looks like finely metallic as well due to the break in. Look at the filter media, it is crazy clogged. I soaked the media in some paint thinner and will let gravity take its course. The tomorrow I can skim off the liquid and see what is left behind.
20150330_211318_resized.jpg

See if it's ferrous

looks non ferrous, ton of this stuff.
20150330_223636_resized.jpg

nothing out of the ordinary from an engine break in sticks out. A couple specks here and there but nothing of significant size

What was the journal diameter?

none of its ferrous metal, its all the piston ring break in junk, it disintegrates in brake cleaner or thinner

Did you build up oil pressure threw out the motor before starting it? Most of that damage could've happened on initial startup and was starved of oil if you didn't build oil pressure up first.

That was my thought but was told it was primed. No way our oil filter caused the turbo to fail these elements flow plenty of oil even with debris on it. These have been in production for about 30 years now.

Primed with a drill yes. Not saying these filters caused the issues, looking for a cause. Pondering the thought of 10psi at idle causing the issue at hand. Mains and Rods are set at .0025, but even 10psi of oil pressure should oil the bearings.

that is correct.

I am wondering if the AN-3 line is not adequate enough to supply oil from the filter, and needs an AN-4

Turbo oil feed and return line I.D. is absolutely critical as is the angle of the return to ensure adequate drainage.

Also 10psi @idle seems to low IMO, should be at least 20psi. Correct clearances for oil pump?

Going to take the cover back off and going to check all work performed and set it to .0015 first. This needs to be done anyway. Going to increase the turbo feed line to AN-4. We know rods and mains are set at .0025. I can always oversize the bearings .001 to bring those clearances to .0015 if all else fails. I am hoping to see an improperly set up oil pump.