highway rpms

vics86

what kind of highway rpms are you guys getting with your 3,42 rear and overdrive.? Im just comparing with my setup. it seems preety high. Im like running 2500 rpms at around 65 mph with 26.1 inch tire. I also have 3.73s but any response is appreciated.

Just put a brf tranny in and its supposed to have lockup but I guess it locks up right when I hit 4th.???? not sure.????I thought you hit 4th and then when you begin to let off to cruise it locks up.

thanks.

Lock-up only happen when cruising with no heavy load. If you are cruising and tap the brake while keeping your foot on the gas the clutch should release.

mines 1850rpms at 60mph 3000 lockup converter
im in 1st til 15mph
2nd til 25 mph
3rd til 45 mph
overdrive or lock up at around 47 to 50 at light throttle .

what kind of highway rpms are you guys getting with your 3,42 rear and overdrive.? Im just comparing with my setup. it seems preety high. Im like running 2500 rpms at around 65 mph with 26.1 inch tire. I also have 3.73s but any response is appreciated.

Just put a brf tranny in and its supposed to have lockup but I guess it locks up right when I hit 4th.???? not sure.????I thought you hit 4th and then when you begin to let off to cruise it locks up.

thanks.
Your definitely not locking up. You should be at 2092rpm with a 26.1 tire, 3.73 ring and pinion, and .67 trans ratio at 65 mph with zero slip. It should be locked at light loads in 3rd and 4th. Cruising for a long time unlocked is bad as only a small percent of the oil is routed through the cooler. It needs to be locked to have the cooler circuit function properly. This is not applicable to transmissions that are set up for non locking converters.

Lock-up only happen when cruising with no heavy load. If you are cruising and tap the brake while keeping your foot on the gas the clutch should release.

yeah, nothing happens. maybe I took my foot off the gas and tapped the brake. thats the first time I heard to do that.

mines 1850rpms at 60mph 3000 lockup converter
im in 1st til 15mph
2nd til 25 mph
3rd til 45 mph
overdrive or lock up at around 47 to 50 at light throttle .

I dont feel that lockup after the 45mph into 4th gear change. My rpms drop substantially to round 1600 rpm but I rev back up to 2500 rpm at 65mph.

The chip commands lockup in 3rd and 4th gears. Stock was below 30 mph in 3rd and about 35-40? in 4th. Most aftermarket chips raise them both to about 50 or even 60 mph to lessen the shock with a loose converter. Hold your foot steady on the gas and use your left foot to press the brake pedal just enough to get the brake lights to come on, then a little more to be sure. Should see the rpms rise 100-200 rpm when it unlocks, then drop back about a second after you let off the brake pedal. Also, are you using a real tach or scan tool to measure rpm or are you using the stock bargraph tach? The stock tach is notoriously inaccurate.

im using a stock tach. I have an 86 olds cutlass. was originally a 3 speed. My brf tranny was oringally wired to lockup in 3rd an 4th but they said they programmed it to jsut lockup in 4th. I just dont feel that 4th shift like the converter is locking up after im at crusing speed. my 3 speed tranny would shift into third and when I was at crusing speed the rpms would drop by a few hundred or so. The roads out here are crappy with the snow and its killing me that I cant do the brake test.

thanks guys

im jealous.

I guess I shouldnt expect my car to ride on the highway like it once did with 2.14's in the rear anyway.