Highest Horsepower Experience

TRiv

What is the max horsepower output of anything you work with or have worked on? Can be anything from planes, trains, automobiles, ships, power plants, etc. What other kind of horsepower experience do we have here?!

5000Hp here, General Electric motor drive in Icing Research Tunnel , wind tunnel testing icing conditions on aircraft.:cool:

711RWHP 741Ft lbs

Single 80 Turbo on a 357 street LT1 camaro .....120mph burnouts all the way thru 4th gear

I definatly sh*t my pants

My first job out of engineering school was working at a coal-fired steam generating plant. We had two large turbine generators. One 490 MW unit and the other was 520 MW's.

hp=520000 kW/.746=697050 hp

.....close to 700,000 hp....

I worked there for 8 yrs and got to see some pretty impressive machinery.

200 Mw Nuclear Reactor out of the USS Seawolf (SSN 21).
We would have hauled a$$ if we weren't connected to the ground:cool:

Not one but two 550MW nuclear reactors on CVN-69. Which the output is divided between the turbine generators and the main engines. But enought of that i might have to start thinking!

The propulsion plant spaces on a nuclear powered aircraft carrier are nothing short of amazing. Even on a sub they are amazing just on a smaller scale.

Originally posted by jon_we4
Yep.... he is the LS1/LT1 Tuner at my work.....

it idles and drives the best it ever has! Almost the perfect street car.

Yeah if I ever had the money and wanted to build a seriously fast streetable F-body that car would pretty much be it although I would have a built TH-400 instead of the T-56 6spd trans.... I must say that guy must be pretty meticulous cause everything looks so clean on that car as well.... Very nice to say the least!:cool: :)

I helped with the motor and turbo system on an old corvette called the Sundowner. It was a land speed car with a 302 small block chevy motor, twin turbos making over 1200 hp pushing the car to 245 mph.

Originally posted by rag93vette
Not one but two 550MW nuclear reactors on CVN-69. Which the output is divided between the turbine generators and the main engines. But enought of that i might have to start thinking!

The propulsion plant spaces on a nuclear powered aircraft carrier are nothing short of amazing. Even on a sub they are amazing just on a smaller scale.

Dammit, looks like I am tied for the lead with rag93vette. I was a nuc on CVN-72. The Lincoln was heavier, so does that mean I win?

There have got to some guys that work at power plants that kick our arses. I have heard of power plants on land that are 1.1 Terawatt each (1 Terawatt is 1000 Megawatts.. The one I was reading about had 4 plants.

:D ERIC.

Sorta fits...

I have a friend in Topeka that has a 825 horse NA motor in one of his 1970 GS Skylarks. I stopped by his house to buy a couple of parts off of him back in May, and he took me for a spin.

Aside from the fiberglass hood, this is a full-weight, full interior 70 Skylark that is currently running traction-limited low 10's. On the little trip we took, he was doing a rolling start quarter and ending up over 130mph spinning the tires the whole way. He shifted that 500" motor north of 7000rpm every time. Sheesh!

Frankly, he scared the hell out of me (original style brakes!), but MAN was that thing fast. Says he'd going to break into the 9's this year once he gets the kinks worked out, and I believe him.

- Freed

I'd have to say the Boeing 747 I rode to florida in once. four of those giant turbine engines = ? hp

on the road, fastest car I'd have to say would be the GN I rode in when I went and looked at buying one. I dont know what it ran but it was a hell of a lot faster than my friend's new '04 WRX STi 6sp.

Beeeg Honkin POWER

Early in youth, thanks to my decade dead loco engineer dad, I got my hands on the throttle of a series of 3 (countem ...123) CNR road diesels...hooked in tridem (one over tandem??). This rig was pulling about 90 salt filled railcars up and out of the grade at Goderich Ontario ... just imagine 3 diesel monsters, driving huge electric gear drives, the torge was enormous. Every time there was a moderate change in the torque output, a shunt in the management circuit would limit either wheel spin or overload.

This writer has been hooked on power ever since.

I got a ride in Joe Horvith's NOSLO6 a couple years ago. Was a 9.70 car at the time. Think in street trim it was a 10.teen car. Thats the fastest car I ever rode in. Pins you in the seat very nice. Speedo pegs as you blink your eyes. 10.teens is 700ish hp I believe.

Hoping mine will be the 2nd fastest car I ever rode in, and the fastest car I ever drove.... motor project under way!