Odds are I'm getting laid off

Pablo

Since my squadron is getting de-activated it looks like a good portion of us are going to get laid off. It's kind of a bummer.

So I figured I would post here in the off chance someone knows someone that knows someone that knows someone with a job opening.

5 Years USMC Aircraft hydraulics/ pneumatics mechanic + wheels and tires - component level repair. Highly experienced in aircraft hose + tube fabrication. I've worked on everything in the USMC inventory, rebuilt and tested all manner of hydraulic/pneumatic (nitrogen) components from flight controls to struts and everything inbetween. Q.A. certified.

2 Years with Bell Helicopter as an airframes/structures mechanic on UH-1/AH-1 USMC helicopters. Sheet metal repair, fabrication. Hydraulic systems testing, troubleshooting. General composite repair - experienced in vacuum bagging, heatcon vacuum bag/heat cure system, nitrogen servicing, hydraulic power unit operation, etc

I also have some side experience in G.A. aircraft. I've participated in annual inspections, cylinder swaps, instrument installation, etc

Honestly I would really like to get my foot in the door of the high performance automotive field. I think I have a lot to offer but no work experience to put on paper :(

Anyway, if anyone has any info on any jobs let me know!

How about a job with the airlines with your experience you could perhaps start out repairing aircraft.Keep your passion for Hot Rods as a hobby unless you want to starve or worst yet wind up half nuts as myself.Take whatever you can get right now to pay the bills & meanwhile keep your options open.In the end I really feel that you don't choose your career. It chooses you.So good luck in your search.

The airlines are laying off right now. What about a Fed aviation job? You could keep your benys and ret. You'll have priority over non Vets. Maybe Homeland Sec.

Good luck.

Mike B.

with all your aviation experience, i'd cheack with Northrop Grumman. I i know at the beginning of summer they were looking to hire between 400-500 people. HTH

Pablo,

Sorry to hear that, I didn't know they were laying off guys up there....Pendelton right??

I work at North Island as a federal mechanic for the CH-53 IMC program. We also work with contract mechs from L3. I can say that we need mechanics but our big boss wants to get federal employess from different programs on base (like the H60s and E2s), rather than hiring new contractors. You might have a better chance getting hired as a sheetmetal worker.

But if you're interested, I can ask the L3 guy in charge of hiring at my hangar and see what's available....let me know!

PS...check out General Atomics also in Rancho Bernardo...they are the guys that build the Predator and other UAVs. A sheetmetal friend of mine that used to work with me got hired there last year and loves it. Better pay too and from what I hear, is an excellent company to work for.

Rodney,

If you could find out for me I would be really appreciative! That's a pretty far drive but I'll take what I can get

Scott, Im working for HMLA 775 as a civ. contractor with bell. There's not much time left before it ceases to exist.

Yeah the drive is a killer, don't you live in Fallbrook? I guess you can always van pool. The folks from Temecula do that. In fact one of the metal guys in our program lives in Huntington Beach and commutes everyday to work via van pool.:eek:

But I will ask tomorrow when I see him and let you know what I find out.

I forgot to ask, I'm assuming you had CH-53E experience when you were in the Marines right? I know that's the first thing he's gonna ask. We have a few hydraulics guys in our shop.

I'd suggest a job in the oil industry.

I have a couple friends who have made the leap recently and are working for a German equipment manufacturer.

They had to relocate Texas...but they are happy with the job. Lot's of bonus salary is paid since it is a highly profitable industry.

Rodney,
I did component level repair for H-53 hyd (the works) and pneumatics (struts, wheels, tires, accumulators etc). I think the O level H-1 experience I have would make learning the 53 pretty easy

Yes I live in fallbrook. Living in huntington beach and going to N.I. is insane! We had a guy that lived in HB and worked with us at camp pendleton and I thought that was crazy

Meanchicken,
I've thought about other fields to go into. Don't want to invest too much of a life change into it. I just need a job to hold me over till next august when the new G.I. Bill kicks in and then I will be living high on the hog going to school full time.

Good luck!

I was an Aviation Fire Control Tech in the Navy for 6 years and spent the last 3 years on the USS Midway as a Flight Deck troubleshooter. Worked on the radar and weapons contrrol systems in F-4, F-14, and mostly F/A-18's I got out as an AQ2 and had just tested for AQ1.

I've used my experience and worked in the hard disk drive industry 8 years, military avionics 2 years, probe card industry 2 years, and spent the last 7 years working in wireless telecom. Most of my jobs were in the engineering technician and quality engineering disciplines and the last several years in various management positions.

Field change is really not that hard. You'll find that a lot of your military training and skills are very transferable.

Anyway....good luck.