Hi trans temp - maybe found problem??

JR1964

My previous post gives details of the problem and car info...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/353682-help-trans-temps.html

In short, trans temp rises to 210*+ on hwy. I may have found the problem, please tell me
if this sounds likely to be the case.

I thought maybe I was slipping while in 4th, but it shifts firm and pulls great. So I tried it in
3rd with same result, driving constant longer distance averaging 2500-2800rpm with 3k stall
conv caused temp to rise to 210*+.

I believe the TCC solenoid may be the issue, last drive on hwy I noticed very little change
in rpm when I locked conv (dropped maybe 100rpm). I just dropped the pan and pulled the
TCC solenoid out.

Now, if I ground the body to bat neg- and touch the wire to bat pos+ it will click (engaging). If
I keep touching and removing wire to bat pos+ should I expect it to keep clicking (engaging)??,
because it does NOT. It only clicks once. If I shake or tap the solenoid then recheck, it clicks
but again only once.

So I'm thinking, I'm on the hwy doing 70-80mph @ about 2400-2800rpm and the convertor (3k stall)
is slipping, not locked, generating excessive heat that the trans coolers can't keep up with.

Keep in mind, around town temp is below 180*, but even if I drive in 3rd or 4th unlocked it's
only a mile or two before I'm stopping at a light or slowing down for other traffic. On the
hwy temp rises after about 5-7 miles at 2400-2800rpm unlocked in 3rd or 4th.

Help me out, am I on the right track here???