Hey Brian/Gbodyparts!!!

Just curious if anyone has followed up any more on this thread...Talked to a local diesel performce shop here and said they build hybrid turbos for pickups, etc. regularly---so if I brought in a HA turbo for "rebuild" they could build a TA33 upgrade similiar to G-Pop shop shown above in this thread.

Mark

A buddy of mine just installed a PT-54 on his hot air car. Marty ( a close freind of mine that owns and operates Tim's Hot Rods here does a conversion on these that is absolutely COOL !!!!! Marty's 88 (9sec.) twin turbo Firebird was in the Nov. issue of Car Craft. The car has since ran a 9:38 and it is a STREET drivin car.

A buddy of mine just installed a PT-54 on his hot air car. Marty ( a close freind of mine that owns and operates Tim's Hot Rods here does a conversion on these that is absolutely COOL !!!!! Marty's 88 (9sec.) twin turbo Firebird was in the Nov. issue of Car Craft. The car has since ran a 9:38 and it is a STREET drivin car.

not sure how he could install a PT-54 on his car unless he has relocated the TB since you cant bolt our throttle bodies on a PT turbo.

Boost231.
He cuts the hot air throttle body into and makes it 3in. all the way, cuts the inlet down on the turbo and it conects with a short coupled 3in. hose. He has done 3 of these threw the years now and they all have worked flawlessly.

Boost231.
He cuts the hot air throttle body into and makes it 3in. all the way, cuts the inlet down on the turbo and it conects with a short coupled 3in. hose. He has done 3 of these threw the years now and they all have worked flawlessly.

Makes since. I knew it had to be modded some way shape or form.

Originally Posted by m233roller
A buddy of mine just installed a PT-54 on his hot air car. Marty (a close freind of mine that owns and operates Tim's Hot Rods here does a conversion on these that is absolutely COOL !!!!! Marty's 88 (9sec.) twin turbo Firebird was in the Nov. issue of Car Craft. The car has since ran a 9:38 and it is a STREET drivin car.

I saw the car with a PT-54 installed (that m233roller is refering to) at a car show last weekend --looked great!!

so what i get from this fourm is my hotair car cant take any turbo even if it fits its gota have those carbon seals
danm
is there no turbo i can use?
i only ask because my turbos seals are goin out cause my car smokes oil real bad :frown:

so what i get from this fourm is my hotair car cant take any turbo even if it fits its gota have those carbon seals
danm
is there no turbo i can use?
i only ask because my turbos seals are goin out cause my car smokes oil real bad :frown:

No carbon seal and you are SOL. What are you trying to do? Brad

FWIW, I have used non-carbon seal turbos for years without any issues at all since 2004. I don't know why they have lasted on my car. Maybe it's because I vent my pcv and don't have oil or crankcase pressure pushing even harder against the seal. 3 totally different turbo's to be exact.