Hey B4black and Turbo Rich!

mr_85regal

Lead foot and a slow car
ok guys..i talked to my buddy w/ the car shop and this is whats goin down...Im goin to just by the intake manifld off that kid. my buddy chris has a 4bbl holly 500cfm w/ vac secondaries that im gettn from him and were kickin the ECM to the curb. Im pickin up a high performance coil pack and a flowmaster muffler. 2' dual in and out and im gettn it put in for 45bucks, and im gettin custom headers made up too. i am also gettn a 10lbbottle and plate for free and ima run a 50 shot. he said i can run a 50 shot all day and not blow anythin up. and i am goin tolisten to him b/c this guy knows his stuff.

OK, if you are going to not run with an ECM and go with a Holley, then why use the factory spreadbore intake? You should go on ebay and find a good Edlebrock or Holley or Weiand intake.

And you will need to find a even-fire, non-CCC, HEI distibutor (1978-80).

And you'll need to figure a way to control the lock-up torque convertor.

Tuck the ECM wiring aside, but don't remove it. You may decide to put it back if the the project doesn't turn out as you hoped.

i know to leave the wiring....so id have to change the HEI to a older one? my buddy ssaid i can just change the sensors from my motor over to the other intake if we had to use the computer still. would that work too? could i just use the ECM for controllin the lock-up and the distributor only? or should i just find a HEI to use w/o the computer? is there a web site i can go to learn about this? and if i had money i would get the performance intake... but ima use the stock one till i get money to by a cam and then ill chanfe the intake to a high perf.

Originally posted by mr_85regal
i know to leave the wiring....so id have to change the HEI to a older one?

Yes, you can't run an ECM/EST distributor without the ECM. You would need a vauum advance distributor.

my buddy ssaid i can just change the sensors from my motor over to the other intake if we had to use the computer still. would that work too?

Yes, that's the beauty of the 4.1 four-barrel swap. Everything is the same except for two more barrels.

could i just use the ECM for controllin the lock-up and the distributor only? or should i just find a HEI to use w/o the computer?

The ECM needs the electronic quadrajet. Either use the ECM completely, or not at all

is there a web site i can go to learn about this?

Your there. :)

and if i had money i would get the performance intake... but ima use the stock one till i get money to by a cam and then ill chanfe the intake to a high perf.

Check ebay anyway. There are some good deals on Buick NA V6 stuff.

and what about the converter? i can do away w/ the distributor, thats no prob, but how would i controll the lock-up? thats my biggest prob. i have a bout 150 bucks to do this w/ so i can squeeze a HEI in.do you know anyone w/ a 78-80 HEI?
And do you have AOL or AIM?

There are several ways to control the lock up. B&M makes a device, but I would check the technical pages at www.montecarloss.com . The MCSS guys are afraid of ECM's and remove them. I'm sure they have cheap ways of dealing with the lock-up.

Sorry, I don't know anybody with a distibutor for sale.

No AOL or AIM either. Just this board. :)

To lock up the TC manual install a switch on the F wire at the ALDL & the other to ground. A flick of the switch & TC locked.
Problems with this is forgetting to lock under 45, at lights etc
But you most have the ECM to do this....

now this gay lock up converter bull is pissin me off.... is there a way around this sh1t? i dint see anythin on the monte board. any other ideas around this? ima post in the trans tech and see what happens

Just forget about the lock-up,don't worry about it,yea you may lose a little in gas milage but from what it sounds like that isn't a concern.It's not like you need it or the trans wont work,it's for better fuel economy PERIOD!just unplug it.I've swapped a few trans in cars which didn't have provisions for lock-up,(we swapped for the overdrive)and never had a problem,EVER.Some may say that it will have to much slippage because it's not locking and may cause it to run to hot,Well i've yet to see it happen,and if that was a concern then put in a extra trans cooler,and you would NEVER be able to feel the differance.I couldn't tell if it was slipping,which i don't think it was.unplug it and forget it,don't let that be the reason you stick with the ECM.I would do the same your doing,trash the ECM use the holley or a non computer Q-JET and get a vac. advance dis. and your ready to roll.I've found the cars seem to run stronger without a ECM trying to retard the timming or lean or richen the fuel control just when you trying to race someone,it will never fail the car will fall flat on it's face.A buddy of mine did this to his monte ss.The car ran like 16.8 stock with the stock ECM,carb dis.He messed with it endlessly trying to make it faster,but couldn't do much that the ECM wouldn't try and correct,so he took off the carb got a stock non computer Q-JET ,put in a vac.advance dist.(which by the way you can tailer the advance yourself with differn't springs)and a set of headers with dauls,the car would now run 14.8 sometimes even better,Dropped two sec.and never even opened the motor,did i mention it had over 100,000 miles onit.And he never had a prob.with not haveing the lock-up not working.so ECM or not,I think the results speak for themself.

Calm down and relax. :)

Yes you can run a lock-up without locking it up, but why? It's easy to deal with. I just looked, the info is there on mcss.com.

Yes, it helps with economy, but forced lock up can make the car faster (Buick programmed it into the ECM on some Turbo cars).

The trans will run hotter down the highway without the lock-up. Your right, you won't see a problem, but since it running hotter, the trans will fails earlier than it would have. Yes, you could put a cooler on, but that's just as complicated as fixing it right in the first place. Better yet, do both.

For me, there are many more plus to running the ECM than minuses. I'll be keeping mine. :)

I'm with you all the way Rich.

mr_85regal.....listen to Rich and relax you'll get there.....:rolleyes:

I think you got the speed itch. If you want that baby to burn it takes much time. If you don't have the patience then see if you can find a turbo Regal. It's several notchs up from our bone-stock grandpa's hand me down 2-barrel N/A Regals. If money is a factor then stick with the Regal and take your TIME!! :mad:

After all, think about how good it's gonna feel to blow away all those fancy Jap cars with wierd wings attached to 'em with your grandpa hand me down, (throw in a couple of Rustangs while you're at it too!)

Take your time kid .....you'll get there...;) :D

Well the reason why im rushing is that i leave for the coast guard in the begining of June... i go to boot camp for 8 weeks and when i get back i am goin to use the car to drive back and forth to base and take the car where ever i go..... after i get to stay in one spot in goin to sell the Regal and pick up a 1987 Grand National or T-Type... i just want to have it done before i leave.... i have the money all ready and im startin to order parts but this tranny thing has me pissed off cuz i cant find a way around it....ill most likely just stick w/ the ECM and use the Q-jet. sure it wont be as nice as havin the Holly but ill just retard the timing and take the nitrous from a 50 shot to like a 60.... i put the bottle in and my buddy had a plate for a 2bbl that we have on it now and im runnin a 50 shot.... wow is there a difference... ive only made 2 runs w/ it...one was a burnout and man i cant wait to get the other parts on for more power