Got my turbo tweak e85 chip!

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
If you dont want to read it all, there's a summary of my questions at the bottom.
Im stoked, I finally decided to jump on the band wagon and run E85 all the time. I've been running mixtures up to 50% for several years on and off and loved the stuff. I needed to get the car through emissions one last time, and it's always been a battle no matter what I've done. It didn't matter how fresh the oil was, the new cat, nothing. In fact I have a buddy who runs an inspection place and I took the car to him running just an open downpipe and we were able to get it to pass, when it wouldn't pass with a year old cat. I thought I was out of the woods last year, so I gutted the cat. Well I was WRONG! I've got to hit the sniffer one last time.:frown:

Between then and now I have found 90% of the vacuum leaks, and fixed them. I've also installed a new PCV and PCV grommet, and replaced a good deal of the vacuum hoses so the car is running MUCH better. My car also already runs on the hot side, and Im not totally sure why, but it likes to stay at 187-190 with the A/C on according to the scan master. I believe it has a 180 T-stat. I am going to replace the t-stat this year, so should I bump it up to a higher t-stat, maybe 190? I am also going to pull the heads this year and do a mild cleanup/port and polish on them. I mainly want to check out the head gaskets, because they have been in the car since I bought it 5 years ago, and I was NOT nice to them in the slightest... So I'll double check to make sure the head gaskets are not the cause of my warm running issue.

Is there anything special, other than the normal TT chip install I need to do? Im going to run the car down as low as I can get it, fill it up with a few gallons of E85 and burn that off, then fill it up with 100% E85.

Questions:
- Should E-85 pass emissions fairly easily?
- Should I run a 180 or higher T-stat?
- Should I do anything special to the car since I am swapping from gas?

My goals are 20-22lbs of boost, I know I will run out of injector, and as soon as I can replace it I am going to replace my old walbro fuel pump with a DW pump.

Finally got to install the chip and play with the car tonight... Im never going back. The torque is insane... the car has never felt this good. Around town the car is much more drivable, and significantly more responsive. The E85 also significantly cut down on lag. I haven't even turned up the boost to where I want it yet, or really done much WOT testing. All I know is I now need to do the blazer brakes asap! Overall the car is just flat out BETTER! I just cant get over how brutal it feels from a 20 roll.

It's been a long time since this car has made me go "damn this is a fast car"... Every car guy that see's my car always talks about how fast it must be, but I have always played it down (I guess that's the street racer in me). Now I'd have no problem looking just about anyone in the eye and saying "Hell yeah it's fast". :cool:

Eric, You sir hit the tune dead on this time! I literally swapped chips at the gas station, drove it around for 20 min, waited an hour or two for the roads to clear out and cool off, and then went for a true "joy ride". My girlfriend is going to hate you though. I think you just spiced up my feelings for this old car again.

Thats exactly how mine felt the first test drive after converting. I couldnt believe the lowend torque. Also did you notice the engine has a overall different sound to it now running e85? Erics tune was dead on with mine also. Driveability is perfect.

Yup, my guess is that the different sound would be the extra fuel or different burn rate of the ethanol. Went to a drive through this morning and could smell the exhaust pretty good. I'm used to methanol or race gas smell, so this was a new one for me. I like it though!

Glad it's working out. I think turbo Buick's and E85 were meant to be together. It does run great!
Eric