Help with Turbo Buick Belt Tensioners

87 GN WE2

Does anyone know were to get a new belt tensioner? I can't find any at the parts store and NOS4GN does not have them.

Discontinued long ago, if they are out good used is the only option. Check parts for sale section.

Gotta beg for a used one. (get ready for some sticker shock) That is one part that's just not available anymore since Glen seems to be out of them now.

Didn't I hear someone is supposed to come out with new billet ones? or was I in dreamland again?

I had an NOS one advertised on the parts for sale thread for over a year. Sold it a year ago for $200 which was $100 less than Highway Stars was asking. I kept one for a spare. I found them at Carquest, maybe the last two in the country.

i got one of the new billet ones. I was under the impression that the company was going to continue to make them after the original run but not at the discounted rate we got with the group buy.

Other than having a spare, what goes wrong with these tensioners?

I wonder if they are rebuildable if the spring gets tired or something like that.

also, how i can check it, other than the obvious bearing failure?

Other than having a spare, what goes wrong with these tensioners?

I wonder if they are rebuildable if the spring gets tired or something like that.

also, how i can check it, other than the obvious bearing failure?
I believe the ears breaking off is the most common issue, but getting tired is also bound to happen. They are almost 30 years old. As for rebuilding, the way the alum is swedged over the metal plate to keep it together...it would be hard to rebuild it...without making it look modified.
The billet ones are really very very nice, but a small fortune. They would be rebuildable though...so they would be a one time purchase unless the ears breaking become an issue on them also.

Well I hope they make some kind of announcement if they do re-run them, I'd be in for one or two, as long as they stay down to earth on the price..

I believe the ears breaking off is the most common issue, but getting tired is also bound to happen. They are almost 30 years old. As for rebuilding, the way the alum is swedged over the metal plate to keep it together...it would be hard to rebuild it...without making it look modified.
The billet ones are really very very nice, but a small fortune. They would be rebuildable though...so they would be a one time purchase unless the ears breaking become an issue on them also.
Just to clarify....from what I've read, the ear breaks where the bolt goes thru it that holds the alternator. So if you change the alternator don't over tighten that bolt!

I have made several calls today to some more auto parts stores and have had no luck.
Thanks guys for all the replies.