Help with Nitto's at the track?

gn87turbo

How do you guys race with your nitto's at the track. I went Thursday and my car would just not hook with the new nitto's. I tried lowering pressure from 20 to 15 and as soon as the boost builds up in first gear it breaks loose. How much pressure should I run and what kind of heating method should I use? Some people have told me to use the water and others to avoid it. Also, I could not build any boost at the line or it would break loose.

Thanks in advance.
Patrick

BTW, my best '60 time was a 2.0 and I ran a 12.65 @ 110 with 19lbs. boost. My nitto's are 245-40-16.

Hmmm... mine have been hooking very well on the street so far... What kind of burnout did you do? I have heard these things like a TON of heat to hook well... I bought mine as a better hooking true "street tire"... still would use MTs for a primary track tire...

Still, I would expect at least a mid 1.8 blowing these things away... I was doing 1.9s on a good street tire...

Also, if you cant build boost your brakes are shot... read up on rear brake upgrades on here. I can hold 15lbs on mine.

Are you using the DR or the 555? The reason I ask is because I had a buddy that had the same problem..only to find out that the tire store sold him 555's instead of the DR.

I could not build any boost because my tires would start turning. Yes, these are the Nitto Drag Radial 555R. They hook real good on the street when I'm running 93 octace and 15-16 lbs. of boost but with the boost turned up they would just not hook. I'm sure its something I'm not doing right cause I've heard of guys running into the 11's with these tires and pulling a 1.7' time. Next time out I'm gonna try to really heat them up. They seemed to hook o.k. until my boost would top out to 19-20 in first and then they would break loose. I'm still not sure on the how much pressure to run, any ideas?

No water, and you must burn them real good. I ran at 18psi. when those are done go to the MT's!!

You have a 245/50/16, that tire has only 9.6 inches of total sidewall vs a 275/60/15 which would have 12.9".

You're lucky to get a 2.0 out of it leaving at any single digit psi amount on a GN with decent torque. IMO, that tires too short and to narrow for our cars.

Nitto doesn't have a great offering in that tire for 16" rims, going to have to use those as the street tires and get a set of MT's for the track.