Help with engine noise please.

gm5150

I posted a video.
I am hearing a grinding sound that comes and goes then hearing clicking / tapping sounds. Also you will hear a rattle type sound happening.
If you watch the whole video you should be able to hear what I'm talking about.
And I also noticed water dripping from the turbo where it attaches to the exhaust manifold., SIGH.. Getting a feeling I already blew a head gasket on the passenger side
This car has 42k original miles on it, have a sick to my gut feeling about this.
Any thoughts on the sounds?

Last edited:
First thing I would do is remove the accessory belt and see if any of the noises quiet down. The belt tensioners are known to create some scary noises when the bearing starts to go bad.

The water coming from the exhaust is normal. Water is a product of combustion. You will see it until the engine/exhaust is fully warmed up. Remove the belt to isolate the noises. The belt tensioner could be making the noise as well as the cam sensor.

I posted a video.
I am hearing a grinding sound that comes and goes then hearing clicking / tapping sounds. Also you will hear a rattle type sound happening.
And I also noticed water dripping from the turbo where it attaches to the exhaust manifold., SIGH.. Getting a feeling I already blew a

You have a non stock gasket between the header and the turbo. If water is coming out, that should mean you have a leak. With any luck it's just sweat in the exhaust system. Removing the gasket and flatting the flanges will fix that (if you have a leak)

It's not possible to accurately hear the noise since your mic won't be exactly accurate nor the speakers on my laptop... But the cadence and frequency of the noise does sound like a noisy belt tentioner.

grabbed another video clip with better sound. I will pull the belt off today and see if I can still hear the noise.