help with clearances

oscar22

im working in rebuilding my gn motor i have a set of speed pro hyperuetic postons my question is what clearance should i have when boring. everyone seems to have a differant answer. thanks

Like many engine parts, your best source for fitment and tolerance questions would best answered by a qualified authority, mainly the manufacturer.

An alternate source would be a shop, or person, who has actual experience, and success, with the given part.

Getting a proper answer to your question here will be difficult at best because very few turbo engines are built with hyper pistons. :)

....Just don't plan on turning up the wick and staying in one piece. :mad:

I agree with that advise. :)

The hyper pistons were not built for turbo use, but for NA use. But since they fit in the turbo engine also, they have been used because of availability and cost.

Have not installed any in our engine builds, but have removed some. The ones we checked had a larger dish, which resulted in lower compression.

That is just another reason many will not use them.

im gona check the casting number maybe im wrong i got them from a reputable gn supplier. thanksfor the info.

I probably should expand on my original "comment".

Hyper pistons are used quite widely as an economic replacement piston, but it's been proven over the years that by their nature they are quite brittle.

While they likely will work for years in a normally aspirated engine with no trouble, and even in a boosted engine assuming it's not pushed hard AT ALL.

However, running them in a boosted engine is generally not recommended. Especially if that motor is going to see higher levels of boost. And those of us in the Turbo Buick community run pretty high boost levels even in street trim, let alone race trim.

So....In addition to my Boo Hiss comment, I would not recommend running them in a Turbo Regal.

I agree they aren't the best choice and if you can, go forged. Forged are better. Best choice would be forged. That said I'm running them. I haven't pushed them real hard (7.7x in the 1/8th on a 28" slick) on a light tune but I've pushed them harder than a stock tune. If I can get my car to run by friday (probably won't) I'll push it a little harder. FWIW I'm only looking for mid 7's in the eighth out of this motor. Now if I can ever find the funding to build another engine I'll definitely push this one as far as I can before I swap it out ;) but that's a long way off. (family first) Bottom line is I've run hypers for quite a few years now with no problems. I don't detonate and I'm carefull. If you want a piston that will let you make a mistake these aren't them. If you're careful with them they'll run. How far I don't know and if you have dreams of running low 11's I would leave them alone. If you're in a bind and HAVE to get your car running well...........I'm running them.

Best choice though would be to run forged.

And because I know everyone wants to know I've had them to ~25-26 psi on stock heads/cam/turbo/intercooler(dutt neck) with alky. And ~20 psi on ported heads/bigger cam/te61/BGC SLI and alky.

i appriciate everyones input im new to this as you can see im gona find ojut hopefully today what pistons i really have and ill post it thanks

found out i have wrong pistons thanks for the help as you can tell im new to this is good to know there are people out there to help you.