HELP - Toyota 4Runner started to vibrate & growl in front end!!

channer

Hi,

My 1990 4Runner (winterbeater) has started to vibrate & growl towards the front end. I can feel the vibration start at around 25-30mph but at 50-55mph, the vibration gets worse and growling gets louder. This is only in 2 wheel drive...

I've changed tires but that didn't help. The rear u-joints are a year old!

I did hear a ticking noise at the front end of the truck and then it started to vibrate when the ticking noise disappeared. I didn't get a chance to investigate. I don't know if there is any correlation with the ticking noise and vibration!!!

Does anyone have any ideas... front axles, front transalxe, wheel bearings.

One last question... If I can't figure this out, should I take my truck to the dealership where they "SHOULD" be able to diagnose the problem or an independent garage that might know a little abotu 4x4 or Toyota's?

Any suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated...

TIA... dave

Check front bearings... if you swamp it alot they don't last long. Almost lost a front wheel on the wifes 4x4 trying to figure out the growl. Sounded too much like the super swampers to distinguish the difference. Jack it up and pull in and out on wheel to check slop if you run LARGE tires. Hers came out in peices.

Since it's only a 2wd I doubt the front axle would be the problem. I tend to agree that the wheel bearings are probably your problem, although I'm not sure that would cause such a bad vibration.

Thanks for the info guys...

I will jack up the front end and check for any freeplay.

I call it a vibration... it's that the truck doesn't seem to roll smoothly. I can feel it in the steering wheel and gas pedal!!! Sorta hard to explain!!!

thanks again... dave

Please respond

Is the truck is 2wheel drive only or is it the grinding noise that only happens while in two wheel drive mode?

I had an '88 for a long time. After adding an additive to the transfercase, on cold mornings, the front driveshaft would spin enough to partially engage the Stock Automatic Locking Front Hubs. Not good. Would make a buzzing noise until I stopped at the next intersection and then engage completely. Replaced with manual hubs.

HTHs