HELP!! Squeaking/Ticking Noise 87' GN

colourfuze

I have a 87 GN and when I start the car everything is fine. I can rev the engine and hear nothing but when I start moving around 15 mph I will hear a slow squeak (repetitive) at a slow pace and the faster I go the faster the noise speeds up and gets louder. It sounds like it could be coming from the back drivers side of the engine bay.. Just a guess.

Help me figure this thing out. Thanks

No noise until the car is put in gear and moving?
Does the motor move bad when put in gear?
Do you have a "torque strap"?

Trans cracked?:eek:

Check your front brake pads for wear. Sounds like a wear indicator dragging.

Put some grease on the hood stop at the back center of the firewall where the hood rests.:)

Put some grease on the hood stop at the back center of the firewall where the hood rests.:)

My car is at home so I cant picture it right now.. Will this make a squeaking noise?? The location you are referring to is right above the intake where the hood closes?

My car is at home so I cant picture it right now.. Will this make a squeaking noise?? The location you are referring to is right above the intake where the hood closes?

Yes.

Sounds like it is in your dash. Only makes noise when you get up to speed.

Could it be the squeaks of delight from passengers riding in the sweetest car ever produced? :biggrin:

Just got to the car... Before I tried anything I drove it.. I cant make it produce the sound now for anything in the world.

The hood stops will indeed do that at weird times. Mine did and I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming from until I read something in Dennis Kirban's book. :) Good suggestion by the guy who mentioned it first.

If it is repetitive or rythmic it probably is not the hood bumper. That usually only makes noise when you hit a bump. If it is when you brake it is probably the wear sensor on the disc brake pad. The other likely culprit would be a wheel bearing dry or on its way out.