Speedo Cable Squeaking. Question..

HighMileage

Albany,NY
87 GN has the squeak cable noise going on behind the cluster. Eeeek……eeeek….eeeek.
Varies with speed.

Q: Can the cable be unhooked at the transmission and core be pulled out,lubed and slid back in?

I really don’t want to yank the cluster out if I don’t have to. GM plastic breaks like tortilla chips.

Thx!

Right near the powermaster brake system is a joint that can be separated and the lube runs downhill towards the speedo.
Don't use too much or it will lube the numbers on your dash too.
Lube the fittings with pb blaster before you try to separate the joint light heat may help as well it will be crusty if never seperated.

Right near the powermaster brake system is a joint that can be separated and the lube runs downhill towards the speedo.
Don't use too much or it will lube the numbers on your dash too.
Lube the fittings with pb blaster before you try to separate the joint light heat may help as well it will be crusty if never seperated.

You are just the absolute man. I’ll check it out tomorrow. Thx!!

If you do get it apart put a little never-seize on the threads so it comes apart again in 2047. :p
No longer a man, I drive a Honder now, Yo! :rolleyes:

make sure it is the cable making the squeak...and not the hood stop bumper, in the center above the fire wall....little smear of grease on that thang...

Ya, don't use any of MAtt's special KY...He says it's for high temps... It's not.
Another squeak is the windshield being loose in the glue.

Ya, don't use any of MAtt's special KY...He says it's for high temps... It's not.
Another squeak is the windshield being loose in the glue.
i thought my windshield was loose...but was the hood bumper stop....drove me nuts for a while...

Had same issue on my GN. Wasn't the cable. It was the speedo drive in the cluster. The part the cable attaches too.

Hey Matt!
You said you were a KY guy. What's up with the dry lube?

I can answer that one. When the "OLD" ladies cum to the golf course they always ask for that Matt fella
and since they're high rollers (with all their dead husbands' hard earned money) he has to follow club rules
and service their nasty, smelly, wrinkled, dried out snatches. The dry lube doesn't leave a wet spot on their pants suits when they're leaving!!! :LOL:

How about when the speedometer starts bouncing all over the place. So in the spring before dropping off the
jackstands I let it run a few minutes in reverse and fixes the issue. Work the one time there was a slight noise from behind
the dash.

I can answer that one. When the "OLD" ladies cum to the golf course they always ask for that Matt fella
and since they're high rollers (with all their dead husbands' hard earned money) he has to follow club rules
and service their nasty, smelly, wrinkled, dried out snatches. The dry lube doesn't leave a wet spot on their pants suits when they're leaving!!! :LOL:
You crazy bastard!!!!....I knew I could count on you to give me a great laugh!!! as well as ole chuckles ....hope all is well my boy:cool: