help me go faster in my 84

84GNv6

Well, Im a newbie but been here for awhile and still trying to learn. I dont know much about the mechanics of cars, but I do want to build my hot-air slowly on a budget. I dont like the way my 84 is running at the moment; when I'm at a dead stop and get on it...it hesitates like it wants to turn off but then it takes off. i feel like my turbo is lagging but Im not sure? I'm interested in going faster on a budget...one step at a time. I don't feel like my 84 is fast ...What would be my first step in getting faster?
fyi the last time i changed o2 and plugs was in march if it helps any

Any help would be great

Well, Im a newbie but been here for awhile and still trying to learn. I dont know much about the mechanics of cars, but I do want to build my hot-air slowly on a budget. I dont like the way my 84 is running at the moment; when I'm at a dead stop and get on it...it hesitates like it wants to turn off but then it takes off. i feel like my turbo is lagging but Im not sure? I'm interested in going faster on a budget...one step at a time. I don't feel like my 84 is fast ...What would be my first step in getting faster?
fyi the last time i changed o2 and plugs was in march if it helps any

Any help would be great

sorry it took so long to post. just got home and ate dinner.

anyways your first step would be to go to The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide and do a spring cleaning. with that being said a few things have changed since that was published.

one i would get some Zddp additive ( Kirban Performance - Buick Grand National Parts, T-Type, Turbo T, GNX Parts, Chevrolet Chevy Corvette Parts, Ford Mustang Parts, Pontiac GTO Parts www.kirbanperformance.com ) because current oil sucks to make things short. you need this with the flat tappet cam you are running.

also the plugs in the article are good but i like to run NGK UR5's now gapped at a tight .032

once you do the spring cleaning you need to do these as well

set TPS

Adjusting the TPS

i shoot for closed throttle TPS to .44 volts. Set the WOT position to 4.20-4.60 volts, do not exceed 4.8 volts

Setting the TPS will take time. it may also require you to remove it and file the slots open more for more adjustablity. take your time with this

you will also need to set the IAC. its easyer with a scan tool but this will do. once set you will have to make sure your tps is set as well.

IAC Reset Procedure

once this is all done. you really need to look into the basics for the car. depending on how much you want to spend i would start with a scan tool right off the get go so you can see whats going on. anyways let us know what you want to do and how much you can spend that way we can make the right call for you

brent

as for a scan tool a scanmaster or powerlogger will work fine but you need an 87 ecm conversion. i dont know how much you want to spend but to do the conversion you will need

87 ecm
TT Chip (new chip)
and i would also get the IAT sensor but its not needed

then i would get a powerlogger which attaches to the bottom of the ECM. you can get it from fullthrottlespeed.com

I already have the 87 ECM and tt chip.
Is a powermaster the same thing as a scan tool?

Powermaster is paret of your brakes if your car has a powermaster but I don't think it does since its an 84 so it has hydroboost. Anyways do you have a laptop? If so get the powerlogger from fullthrottlespeed.com. that will be money well spent. That will be able to tell us what's going on with your car.

I agree 100% about the powerlogger. It is the way to go. I would also pick up a used Caspers knock gauge as well. This setup is latest and best way to tune your car. My scanmaster has been demoted to a knock gauge and instant data info. Brad

Do you have pics of the engine? Do you know if it's still stock? Going fast in a hotair on a budget . . . . . you will need to stock pile parts. Good thing you are planning on doing it slowly. How fast do you want to go?

Well as far as going how fast? Possibly mid to low 12s....fast enough to beat the new mustangs and gtos possibly vettes! Is this possible?
Heres a pic of the motor...I did upgrade the ecm and chip

Attachments

• gn1.JPG
    gn1.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 101
ok thats do able. so did you do what i listed yet?

Scantool is next.

No I havent been able to with my school mid terms and practicing for a big golf tournament in vegas this weekend:eek: but after that i should be free throughout next week or may find time this week....and about the scantool. You recommend the powerlogger over the scanmaster?