Help! Just bought 87 GN Dies Won't Start

short_dustin

I just picked up another Buick and am having trouble. Car runs great very smooth and plenty of power. I drive it about 20 miles and it dies, tried to start it and it backfires. I waited about 20 minutes and it starts right up and runs smooth. I just ordered a scan master so I'll have a little more info from that in a couple days to share. Any help is much appreciated!

I also noticed since it died. Now I can start it back up and it idles fine but when I give it any throttle it hesitates.

I started it and unplugged the MAF. Idled fine and when I have it throttle it did the exact same thing, hesitated before revving up. I tried tapping the MAF and it didn't effect anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pop the coil pack off the ign module and see if the potting material has melted. It sounds like it might be a heat related failure.

Back to the MAF. If I unplug it and the engine keeps running the same does that mean it's probably the MAF?

Replaced the MAF with an LS1 and a translator. Idles better and doesn't hesitate when I give it throttle. Still dies after warming up so I ordered a TR6 and coil. With the key on engine off I can hear noise coming from the ignition control module...I don't think that's right. I'll keep upgrading systems until this thing runs right!

What chip? Sounds like it's going into closed loop and dying.

Also what are your settings in the translator?

What is tps and iac # engine warm at idle?

Rick

I just bought the car about 6 days ago. Honestly I haven't checked but the guy I bought it from said a Turbo Tweak chip. Translator is "on on on off" Base 6 WOT 0. TPS is .44 and I didn't check the IAC

The chip type is critical to the translator settings. Base 6 is for a 85mm maf. Is that what you have?

Yes I do have a 85mm MAF. I ordered it with the translator from fullthrottle.

Roger that. Get a look at the chip and see what you got. Also see what the iac is doing.

Will do I'll report my findings. I appreciate it TurboBuRick. It's good to get some help!

I'll keep upgrading systems until this thing runs right!

That's a great attitude... but it's the wrong one. Shotgunning parts is normally an expensive trip down the wrong rabbit hole.

In your case, you might luck out with the TR6 order. If your hotstart/ running condition is the ign module, a TR6 might just fix you up.

Since you bought the car with this condition, I have to wonder if the previous owner got fed up and dumped the car because he got tired of throwing money at it.

pop the door off the computer too. The label on the TT chips will tell you want you have. From there you can down load the instructions to adjust it.

Well I got the chip out no problem but broke a pin removing it from the carrier.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404610586.567699.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404610595.983080.jpg

Guess it doesn't really matter since I now need a new chip. No big deal I'd rather buy new injectors and a new chip to match and know what I have opposed to taking some dudes word for it.

I researched a little and looks like it's a Reds chip for 93 octane. Would it run REALLY bad on 91?

Sure doesn't look like a TT......
Slow your roll, get a new chip, go back over all your settings and parameters. Then one at a time do your upgrades.

A new chip and matching injectors is never a bad idea. ESP considering the originals are almost 30 years old.