Help in SW Mississippi

tscruggs

1KWIKGN
I am rebuilding a stock 109. Using std crank, cam, etc. The piston order was messed up by a "friend." As I am reinstalling the pistons, the engine seizes as any piston past #1 hits bottom. Spins freely to and from but seizes at bottom. Could the pistons not being in proper order cause such an issue? The pistons are aligned properly - the front stamp is facing the front, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Have not seen this issue before.

Are you sure the crank spun/spins freely w/o any rods/pistons hooked up and just the mains torqued?

Spins freely with piston 1 torqued, etc. Only after installing #2 did problem arise. Whether torqued or reasonably loose, pistons 2-6 seize at bottom.

Whats your rod bearing clearance of 2 and 6?
Whats you piston to bore clearance
whats your ring gap
Was teh bore trued/bored?

Might be a dumb question..... but these off center motors have rods that can't be installed (correctly) but one way. Is it possible the pistons were put on the rods wrong..... and the offset is headed the wrong direction causing it to bind up near BDC.

Good point Blazer and that would definetly cause it due to rod orientation

Drivers Side dots face rear of engine

Passenger Side dots face towards front of engine.

Bearing tangs toward pan rail

If you can't get it sorted out..... The closest turbo Buick guy I know to you......is Randy Alexander. He has his own shop not too far.....over in Montecello. SouthernBoost is his screenname on here. He should be able to get you straight.

Spins freely with piston 1 torqued, etc. Only after installing #2 did problem arise. Whether torqued or reasonably loose, pistons 2-6 seize at bottom.

Wish I would have seen this last weekend. I was there hunting, I could have stopped by.

Might be a dumb question..... but these off center motors have rods that can't be installed (correctly) but one way. Is it possible the pistons were put on the rods wrong..... and the offset is headed the wrong direction causing it to bind up near BDC.

This is what I would be checking first. Make sure the rods are installed in the correct orientation.

Awesome!! Thank Yall!!! I did not realize the dots went certain directions. Will double check that, etc. Did you do any giid hunting. My sons and I have got two so far and hit one with the van.

Make sure your bearing locks go to the outside of the block on every rod if there stock did you read the piston ring instructions on wich way to install the ring set by clocking the rings a certain way for proper installation.

Awesome!! Thank Yall!!! I did not realize the dots went certain directions. Will double check that, etc. Did you do any giid hunting. My sons and I have got two so far and hit one with the van.

Got three this year so plenty of meat in the freezer now. Next time I'm down there I'll stop by and see how your car is coming along.

On the rods, make sure the dots on the piston are pointing to the front also. I've had a situation years ago where the rods were backwards on the pistons so had to have the pressed off/on again.

With stock rods the offset (wider side) should be facing the counter weight closest to that rod. Just look at your setup and if the offset in any rod is facing the rod on the same "throw" then it is wrong. Kinda hard to understand until you are looking at the bottom end. Let us know or snap a pic and we can help. Jon Hanson