Help,, Fan problems

t-typinator

My fan would run for quite a while after i would shut the car off even if the car wasn't warmed up yet if you turned on the ignition then shut it back off it would run for about 15 mins,so i unplugged the delay relay,(got the info from the fan trouble shooting guide)+ it took care of the problem but then i realized the fan hasn't been turning on during driving,I have had the car for a while but havn't been driving it, so just found this out, actually i have 2 cars doing the same thing,fan not turning on.
I think instead of messing with the relays,(i have tried different ones with no luck but havn't gotten a new one yet),i'd like to go a diff route.
I have tried taking a wire + going directly to the bottom bolt on the fan (pos)and the fan turns on so i know the fan works, so my question is this:

Is there an easy way to wire it so that the fan comes on + runs whenever the ignition is turned on + or even better just when the car is running ?

Best thing to do would be to get a thermal switch that installs into the coolant passage that will act as the control side on a relay for the fan. here is a pretty simple wiring diagram that i found that illustrates what I am talking about.

Fan_relay.jpg

Best thing to do would be to get a thermal switch that installs into the coolant passage that will act as the control side on a relay for the fan. here is a pretty simple wiring diagram that i found that illustrates what I am talking about.

View attachment 150704

i think that is basicaly in a roundabout way the same setup as the stock one isn't it,with a temp switch + a relay? I think if iwere to go that route i would maybe just check my temp switch/relay setup + just fix it,(new parts )which i may,but just checking out alternatives.

i'm thinking i want to just have it run all the time the engine is running, maybe on low? if that doesn't cause problems,or wire it direct with a toggle to turn on or off when i want,but would like to know if there is a way to simply wire it to be on whenever the car is running + if so would that cause any problems other then maybe a slower warm up.
Does anybody run theirs like this?
Yrs ago the cars fans ran all the time,it was part of the pulley system instead of electric, you started your car + the fan was spinning.

connect the green wire at the fan relay to ground , if your fan circuit works it will run with key on
if not read the troubleshoot again and fix whats broke

My question to the OP would have to be... What kind of verification have you that the fan never turns on during driving? It's not like you can see it. Is the car overheating??

You do realize that the fan is only supposed to run during certain coolant temp levels, right? It's not supposed to run all the time the key is on. That would be an unusually high electrical load on the system.