Help choosing a turbo. Thinking about a 6262

corey331

TR noob
I am still learning a lot about these car and am puting together a new combo. I had a TE60 on a stock motor with alky and 42# injectors, 3"DP, LS1 MAF. I currently have the motor out of the car for a freshening of the short block and am sending the heads and intake out to be ported. I am moving up to 60# injectors and am also going to put a nice converter in it(depending on turbo selection). My goal for the car is low 11's to high 10's. Would a billet 6262 get me there or do I need to look bigger? Again, I am new to the Turbo Buick game, just getting my 87 GN a few months ago, but its not as fast as the mustang I got rid of to get it, and I want to remedy that!! Thanks for any help!!!

Corey

The 6262 should get you to the high 10's but you may have boost control issue with it and need to switch to an external waste:eek:gate.

The 6262 should get you to the high 10's but you may have boost control issue with it and need to switch to an external wastegate. :eek:

Billet 6262

I was on the same path you were headed. I believe you are headed down the right one as far as the turbo selection and the times you are looking for. The Billet 6262 could get you there IMHO. If you want a 25 mile used Billet 6262s give me a call. 415-902-0829. I have one for sale $750 Shipped. It's posted in the For Sale section w/pics as well. Only reason for selling is my entire combo changed.
As far as controlling the boost, the wastegate hole will need to be ported. With the purchase of mine :p you can already see how much material needs to be removed to control the boost with an internal wastegate.

Good Luck!!

The 6262 should get you to the high 10's but you may have boost control issue with it and need to switch to an external waste:eek:gate.

Maybe....maybe not. I had no issues controlling boost once I ported the wastegate hole with my 6262. :wink:

external gate here ...hence rock solid boost I got dbb version from Brian at gbodyparts.com wow its a monster compared to the old te44 (both at 24 psi) blazes the tires on a 40 mph roll !! I'm on stock longblock. Yeah its got some 10 sec passes in it for sure.

A TE60 can net a high 10 if really pushed and with a killer combo, low 11's are pretty common around here. Is that faster than your Stang, probably, so I'd work on everything else and leave the turbo alone for now.:wink:

BTW, a 62/62 has the potential to go ultra low 10's, it's barely off the 62/65 in power.

Thanks guys. Actually my mustang went 10.44 @ 128 on drag radials w/spray. I don't need to that fast with this one, but I would really like to be close. I think this 6262 would get me there. I don't want to go to big cause this car will be on the street 99% of the time. 87we4boosted, I might have to get with you on that turbo. I'm on vacation this week, but will be home this weekend. Thanks guys!!

Thanks guys. Actually my mustang went 10.44 @ 128 on drag radials w/spray. I don't need to that fast with this one, but I would really like to be close. I think this 6262 would get me there. I don't want to go to big cause this car will be on the street 99% of the time. 87we4boosted, I might have to get with you on that turbo. I'm on vacation this week, but will be home this weekend. Thanks guys!!

That's cool. I look forward to hearing from you. I was almost getting ready to sit on it and use it on the new stroker motor. :biggrin:

I hope you have a good vacation!!:cool:

interested in why? I've been reading and trying to learn a little more on turbos as I'm looking also......please explain in simple terms as to why you would need an ext. wg with a 6262 ... thanks -John

You shouldn't need external boost control. I have a 6262 and when I first installed it couldn't get boost under 25#. After removing the turbo and porting the WG hole - leaving no more than 1/8" of material for sealing the puck - I now can get boost down to 19# which is really close to the minimum using a HD actuater. I am pretty sure you will need to port the WG hole.

Hmmm..

Never had issues with my 6262:cool:. The WG hole is ONLY laidback on the inside. I am using a stock puck, ported stock elbow, HD actuator , manual boost controller.

Were in the hell to get the right fitting for my 6262bb? I have a braided #3 line from Gbody and I have the fitting for the block . I got the Turbo from Cal @ Harline but you can't get him on the phone!!! I need a fitting that's will go to turbo and also hook to my #3 . Does it have to be restrictive and were to get it???

Were in the hell to get the right fitting for my 6262bb? I have a braided #3 line from Gbody and I have the fitting for the block . I got the Turbo from Cal @ Harline but you can't get him on the phone!!! I need a fitting that's will go to turbo and also hook to my #3 . Does it have to be restrictive and were to get it???

Yes you need the restrictor that came wit it if its a BB trubo. Dont remove it. Get an adapter fitting from anyone on line that sells AN fittings. Summit will have 3 or more brands available. -3 is not a common size for anyone to stock and is rarely used.