HELP!!!!.....broken bolt in...

flowerpower

My brother-in-law came over the other night to help bolt up the down pipe on my new PTE .... I gave him the bolts and told him to use .....

what did he do ..used some other longer bolts "I had grade 8 gold ones and where he got these other bolts from I don't know" He bottomed 2 of them...One came out the other broke off "the very top one on the housing"...We tried an easy out and he broke that off..... Yesterday I got this thing from Sears for broken bolts and ...this bolt is not coming out....

Can I run with all but that bolt in the motor is coming out this winter for a rebuild

What do you guys think would it be ok to run like that?

You will need to remove the turbo and mill the bolt out. You will have to get the broken piece of easyout out of it first or use a solid carbide end mill t omill them both out. You should be able to run the car with 3 of the 4 bolts and minimal leaks. If there is too big of a leak i would get it fixed because you will get a good dose of carbon monoxide in the car from the leak. Especially if the blower motor is running. It will suck in the exhaust gases by the heater pipes where the small piece of foam is and feed them into the cabin.

I have a gasket for that side" thank god I got 2" It was dry the 1st time and I was going to use that high temp spray sealer ...
Also the housing was off the turbo... "did that 1st" ...I just hate having other people help that are not that "smart" but not that dumb..... ya know .......
Its my hands...:mad:
I just cant do the things I did before they were smashed in a 200Ton punch press

Disassemble the turbo and heat the flange around the broken bolt with a torch so the housing will expand and hopefully the bolt won't expand as well. You should be able to use your easyout to get it out then.

I had someone break off a stainless steel bolt in my head and that's how I got it out.......after drilling and trying the easyouts.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Usually you will have to get it so hot the easy out will soften and just twist off:eek: . Its easier to have it milled out and tapped. You could spend a whole day playing with it or have it done by a machinist and be guaranteed it will be usable when done. Or just buy a new housing and replace the one thats on there and have the other fixed at your convenience then sell it on here. I dont recommend trying to drill or use an easy out in that spot with the bottomed out bolt. You know that f ucker is jammed in there good and will turn out hard for a few turns and the end of the bolt is probably deformed from bottoming. If you get it loose it will mess up the threads on the way out.

I think after reading around here ,Monday I'll take it to this welding ship around here and have them weld a smaller nut"the inside hole" to the bolt.........I might just say F-it and buy a new one...lol...lol.. thanks guys!!!!

Be sure to keep that Brother in law away from the car. If he wants to help, just have him get you a beer. :biggrin: :biggrin:

As a side note, AWAYS run a tap in the turbo holes and use anti-sieze on the treads. Try and drill the broken bolt out, and use an easy-out. Use the sqaure type not the twisted flute type. http://images.acmehardware.com/200x200/4337572.jpg By drilling all the way through the bottom of the broken bolt, you will relieve the point where the interferance took place, and it "should" just twist out pretty easy. Those bolts are a PAIN to get out.

I don't think he drilled to the bottom and it was a craftsman's #2 the twisted flute type ...then I went and got the $50.00 Sears extractor where you drill in reverse...He cant get it to start....:frown:
Right now I'm so mad I might buy a new one and sell this one....

If I showed you guys pics of what my hands looked like when they were smashed and now .....:eek: :eek: ...Its that bad ....and thats why I hate I can't do some things and can other......don't get me wrong I'm glade for what I have ..... but........SORRY just venting

Thanks for ALL the help guys!!!!

I feel for you with the injured hands. Nothing like taking what we all have for granted. I can't do the things I use to do, and really miss the good old days when everything worked, at least pain free. After 7-8 surgeries on broken/worn out body parts, I now can tell weather better than the guys with the satellites.;) :mad: Too bad you don't live near me, I'd glady give you a hand. No pun intended.:redface: Good luck. Might try the machine shop route.