Spec on long bolt?

N2BUICK

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Does anyone have the specs on the long alternator bolt? This is on a 86/87 turbo car. I have let my last one get away and want to try and source a replacement.
I see on GN/ttype site two part numbers, 25518197 and 25518198. I didn't know there were two parts so close on specs. The 197 part says 3/8-16 X 33.5/ M10-1.5 X 17
The 198 part only difference is 3/8-16 X 44.5/M10 X 1.5 x 17.
The 17 length is puzzling , my 86 GN bolt only appears to be near 7"
Where are either of these parts used, one having a 10MM longer thread on one end?
Can these bolts be purchased ? None came up on line with a brief search.?
What is the diameter of the bolt, if anyone has one?

thanks

They can't be purchased new anymore. I'm guessing the ''17'' is the length of the titty that's on the outside of the nut. ( I was thinking it was 8mm not 10mm though)
That's one of the oddball ''TR specific'' shit that GM did back then. As a general rule, all the fasteners that thread into plain ole shitbox 3.8 are SAE. Anything TR specific is metric is metric.
And there's a few areas on the engine where both world exist at the same time.
As far as the exact dimensions for the bolt you need, I have no idea, I've never measured mine.

What's funny is I've seen the bolt discussed on FB a few times in recent history and I'm wondering if I should tool up and do a production run to make some replacement.

I have a feeling if I actually mention it, a bunch of people will chime in, then when I make a batch, there'll be nothing but crickets.

They can't be purchased new anymore. I'm guessing the ''17'' is the length of the titty that's on the outside of the nut. ( I was thinking it was 8mm not 10mm though)
That's one of the oddball ''TR specific'' shit that GM did back then. As a general rule, all the fasteners that thread into plain ole shitbox 3.8 are SAE. Anything TR specific is metric is metric.
And there's a few areas on the engine where both world exist at the same time.
As far as the exact dimensions for the bolt you need, I have no idea, I've never measured mine.

What's funny is I've seen the bolt discussed on FB a few times in recent history and I'm wondering if I should tool up and do a production run to make some replacement.

I have a feeling if I actually mention it, a bunch of people will chime in, then when I make a batch, there'll be nothing but crickets.
Earl,

I would definitely buy 5 or 10. I believe that "If you produce it, TR's will but it". Mine has taken a beating, so much so, that I am ready to take it to a machine shop and see if they can cut me one from SS or Titanium rod.

OP not trying pirate your thread, but Earl I have added some titanium studs and various bolts to replace my old hardware. For the turbine to headers and TB to plenum I purchased Blue / M10 x1.50x45mm / 12 Point and Blue / M8x1.25x45mm / 12 Point studs respectively from JD Customs. In addition, 6 titanium flanged hex head bolts in natural, 5/16 - 18 x 1", for the hub to balancer, 4 titanium socket cap screws with tapered head in burning blue, M8 x 1.25 x 30mm, for the TH 3" DP to the turbine housing and a couple more in burning blue to fasten the vacuum block and throttle cable to the plenum. If you'd like I can send some pictures. I am getting ready to replace my heater core and and maybe my AC Evaporator core and I would like to zip it back up with either titanium or SS (316 Super Corrosion Resistant) if I can figure and find the correct sizes.

I would definitely buy 5 or 10. I believe that "If you produce it, TR's will but it". Mine has taken a beating, so much so,
That's the reason the guy that invented the engine hoist, also invented the Buick V-sicks.
All in an effort to sell more hoists! o_O ;)

Can't imagine what they would cost to make . Anyone have a Chinese connection ? Everyone would want them !! Untill they find out how much they cost. What are stockers worth now ? $15/$20 ?? ;)

Anything for a specific purpose is bound to be $17.50 or more plus tax and shipping. I bought a couple arp cam sprocket fasteners on a card the other day off the ebay for like $10 shipped for each. Then I searched up fasteners for the flex plate and they were ridiculous from arp. I need to go get a core long block from the wrecking yard. Just the fasteners would pay for it. And I could hope for a nice oil pump pocket in the front cover for a bonus.

Chuck, have you looked at my original post in April? I have several figures, I got from somewhere. Not sure on length.