Help again...Vendors the same as the last post

Buick_noob

I was going to change out my Fuel Filter and the 2 nuts that will connect to it is rusted...and the nuts are soft. I didn't want to take it off to replace it with vicstrips and not be able to tighten the bolts. I never replaced one on this car...Which I only had a couple of months. So what do I do?

Get a spray can of Kroil (my favorite) or PB Blaster and soak the nuts a couple of times a day for a few days. Then gently try them, if you are lucky they will move. Otherwise get a heat gun (electric, not a torch :)) and heat the nut on the end of the filter and the nut on the tubing until when you drip a drop or two of water on it you get a nice sizzle. You will boil the gas in the filter, that's ok. Then do the other end, and then quit for the night and let them cool all the way back to room temperature overnight. In the morning soak them again with Kroil. Do the heat again the next night, and again let them cool overnight and soak with Kroil. Next night heat them again and try the wrench gently with everything hot. There are rubber orings in each fitting that might start leaking with the heat, so once you start the heat don't turn the key on until you get it apart. Might be a good idea to unplug the fuel pump back under the rear bumper and run the engine until it stalls, to empty the line as much as possible, too.

Invest in a couple of small sets of flare nut wrenches (standard and metric), they are a life saver when working on ANY fuel line nuts or other flare nuts.

Invest in a couple of small sets of flare nut wrenches (standard and metric), they are a life saver when working on ANY fuel line nuts or other flare nuts.

Of all the times I've tried flare nut wrenches, I think I've only had 1 car where the fuel filter was at an angle where I was able to get the wrench on. :D Murphy's Law. :mad: