Help a Solider with a bad head

WurmzGN

it
I just bought my first GN, it has a blown head gasket and possibly a warped head so I'm goin the safe route and buyin new heads. I've been searching around this site and it seem Champion is gonna be the best thing for me. What I need to know is, are the new head gonna be a good fit and work wit the factory parts,and is there gonna be any tuning work needed. But theres one catch I'm doin all the work in my Barraks parking lot with nothing more then some bubble gum and a paper clip :D Myself and my buddys are all Mechanics in the Army so we know a lil about what we doin. If the Champion heads aren't the best fit for my sittuation then can someone point me in the right dirrection. Thank you

Champions will bolt right up and don't present any tuning issues. For a basic job, use Felpro head gaskets and ARP bolts. Don't forget to use a good sealant on the bolt threads which go down into the coolant passages.

You'll also need to replace the intake gasket.

Intake manifold gasket: Felpro MS96033PB

Head gaskets: Felpro 9441PT

take your heads to a machine shop to have them checked and go from there avoid spending money on the champion heads unless money is not a thing.

has anyone

Ever gotten Champion to return a call? 4 times in the last few weeks and no return call as of yet.

I have the champion ported irons and they work great. I'd suggest arp bolts or studs.

I just bought my first GN, it has a blown head gasket and possibly a warped head so I'm goin the safe route and buyin new heads. I've been searching around this site and it seem Champion is gonna be the best thing for me. What I need to know is, are the new head gonna be a good fit and work wit the factory parts,and is there gonna be any tuning work needed. But theres one catch I'm doin all the work in my Barraks parking lot with nothing more then some bubble gum and a paper clip :D Myself and my buddys are all Mechanics in the Army so we know a lil about what we doin. If the Champion heads aren't the best fit for my sittuation then can someone point me in the right dirrection. Thank you
send khai a message at KNPERFORMANCE@HOTMAIL.COM he will set u up with heads and intake and doghouse package deal!!!!!! same or better performance than champion with A WAY BETTER PRICE!!!.check out his work here. you wont be dissapointed Flickr: KN Performance's Photostream

Isnt there a hobby shop on base you can use?

You dont have to buy a set of champion heads, you can use the stock heads and save some money. Pull both heads, have them machined so they are flat again, use ARP bolts at the least, you can go the stud route if money permits. Go buy a Cometic head gasket dont skimp on that, they are worth it.

If you have the time or you can find a shop that will do it, send the heads out to be ported and polished. You may find someone with a set ready to go and you can trade them yours out. That will save you down time.

Remember the reasons these cars pop a head gasket is because the air/fuel was not right or they overheated the engine.

Good luck and where are you located?

Evryones help has been awsome so far, a lil update to all the responses. First money isn't a problem ryt now I'm lookin on spending around 2k maybe a lil more if needed. I've thought about machining the stock heads but time is a factor for me. I'm stationed in Hawaii and I have bout 3 weeks to get her runnin, if it's not I can't get it shipped back to the mainland and it's final home in Ohio. Alot of people said to save my money and get the stock heads reworked, ported and polished, among other things. My plans for my new baby:smile: is within the first 2 yrs. I'm gonna rebuild the engine and 3 yrs. after that I plan on a frame off resto, so thats the reason on chosing to go with the new heads. Thanks again for all ya help, lookin foward to hearin more from everyone

I forgot to ask one thing, ARP bolts/studs. Whats the difference and hows is one gonna be better then the other?

I forgot to ask one thing, ARP bolts/studs. Whats the difference and hows is one gonna be better then the other?

You can get more clamping load on the heads with a set of studs than you can with the bolts. If you are not shooting for 600 hp to the wheels then the bolts will work just fine.

Call Nick Micale in Phoenix, he may have a set of heads ready to go and he is close to you relativlely speaking. He can send you everything you need, heads, bolts, all in a box.

I would pull the head and have it checked. It had to be beat hard to be warped. Maybe a little decking is in order but... If you want it fixed that would be your cheapest route. If you are looking for performance than by all go for it:biggrin: Thanks for protecting our country btw:)

Not to rain on anyones parade but several of our PAYING VENDORS that support this board carry heads ready to go...

Champion, nor Khai support this board. I would appreciate it if you guys try to remember that:biggrin:

Use studs as there is No reason to use inferior bolts unless the $20 extra is an issue? I doubt it in your case. I would also inspect your heads & just freshen them up a bit for 3 years drive time. Use the money on scantools! You need a Scanmaster, wideband A/F, knock guage,fuel presure guage to tape to windshield , adjustable fuel pressure regulator & a Good Modern TT Chip before any heads are needed as thats why they are messed up now!
Gotta tune first & then go fast.

Heads

Dont know your combo but if you decide to buy ported heads be prepaired, you will need the following to support them. Bigger injectors/chip,bigger turbo,and fuel pumps.
I would use the ARP studs and change both head gaskets that way you know both are new. Drain your oil to, as you probably have antifreeze in the oil pan from spilling during head removal....

Are you in Ohio?

If so call me. I will be more than happy to help you.

330 807 5627

I have a set of heads that would be great for you.

If in Ohio I can help.

Iron heads should be bolt on. Ensure you are are using the right valve springs for your cam.

Your heads are 8 bolt heads. Only a StageI or StageII has the provisions for 14 bolts. (along with the TA aluminum block) I would suggest contacting a supporting vendor on this site and order a set of ported iron heads. Aluminum heads are great if you plan on racing, but if 90% of you driving will be street, stick with ported irons. ALOT less potential problems. Use FelPro 9441 head gaskets and either bolts or studs from ARP. Removal is easier with bolts, than studs. A good set of ported irons are worth 45-50 hp. Good luck.