Hello From Australia

cracker

hey i just joined as a memeber i live in australia and drive a 1990 holden commodore. fitted with a buick 231 v6 rear wheel drive with a turbo 700-R transmisson. i belive the motor that is used im my car came from a buick reatte and others i think. my car is a N/A vin L motor it is fuel injected and does not run a dizzy. My enigne has Acl race pistons, Wade cam shaft, recod heads and diy port job,roll master timing chain, arp con rod bolts and a few other little things.
here is a picture of it before i rebuilt it im not sure if u are very in to hotting them up in america or what not but any information/links you could give me would be great thanks

Attachments

• motor old.jpg
    motor old.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 202
Go to gnttype.org good overall sight, also do searches on this sight some very good info for build ups or search for specific issues you have if not always ask, welcome to the sight and good luck sounds nice! :)

yea thanks
im particulay interested in the in let manifolds on ur cars with my motor so to speak as i think i have read they have a tuned length manifold kinda looks like a bunch of banannas. thanks

You have what is called a series 1 3800 here. Only yours has some specific RWD parts like the intake and exhaust manifolds. We dont do hardly anything on the NA motors, mostly SC(supercharged). Most of the SC forums deal with the later series 2 motors altough a lot of the parts are simular.

yea thanks for the replies
it is very confusing for me
in australia we have
from 1988 we had a s1 buick v6 which is a vin c motor i think? it has the thermostat towards the back of the engine(which is a night mear to change in a rwd as u can imagine)
then we have the s2 which is your s1
then we have the ecotec tech which i belive it ur s2which come out with eaton m90 blowers and with out as well. they have even exhuast and inlet ports as in exuats port 4cm gap the exhuast port then 4cm gap then exhaust port
where as the early v6s go something like exhuast port 4cm gap then exhaust port then like 8cm gap then exhaust port.
im interneted in the maniofld from your pontiac bonneville 1992.
i realised that you guys are more in to other buick v6's such as ur s2(ecotec motors) with the superchagers.

turbofish38 said:
You have what is called a series 1 3800 here. Only yours has some specific RWD parts like the intake and exhaust manifolds. We dont do hardly anything on the NA motors, mostly SC(supercharged). Most of the SC forums deal with the later series 2 motors altough a lot of the parts are simular.
such as what parts i thought that they were close but always differnet?
and another thing you wouldnt happen to have cranks that would bring out a few more cubes from a v6 would u :rolleyes:

i think this is it? im guessing it has a lowe intake manifold too yes? do u no any where where i could get pictures of one thanks

Attachments

• 1992_USAbuick_v6_manifold.jpg
    1992_USAbuick_v6_manifold.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 141
cracker said:
i think this is it? im guessing it has a lowe intake manifold too yes? do u no any where where i could get pictures of one thanks

Again, you should repost your questions in the Supercharged 3800 section of this board, and they might help you, or perhaps guide you to a different site. I put the link in my earlier note above. I'll wager 90% of the activity on this board does not use the part you picture above, but there will be some folks who are familiar, like turbofish38.

cracker said:
That looks like a Series I NA mainfold, L36 is the common name for that here. I'd try www.clubgp.com as they have tons of information on the L36 NA and L67 Supercharged motors.

The L36/L67 Series 1 engines use a two piece intake manifold. On the L36 NA the upper half or plenum is composite plastic. Your motor is closer in looks to a LN3. I may have misled you. There really isn't hardly anything interchangable as far as parts go between your early series 1 and the later series 1 that the SC versions are. What I should have said was that the same ideas that make a SC 3800 better will also work on your motor,for example cam specifications and tolorences for the bearings and pistons. Too bad we started installing the series 2 3800 in our Camaros and Firebirds otherwise your Holden based 3800 would be a killer set up in our G-body Regals.

turbofish38 said:
Too bad we started installing the series 2 3800 in our Camaros and Firebirds otherwise your Holden based 3800 would be a killer set up in our G-body Regals.
I want to hear why the F-bodies messed this idea up?

very very interesting.
heres some more photos of my motor all that i no is it is called a vin L or vin C motor im not sure if that means anything too u. i do no that a few australains have used buick turbo con rods with two dots on them i think? and then brought forgded pistons to suit them from the states as the fit our engines with little modifaction.

heres some more pictures these are the pistons i used they are ACL Race Series pistons they are not fordged but are some what stronger then the stand ones. one guy in australai has run about 12-13psi on them with good results which is very un common in australia for a early v6 to run that much boost. and one of the heads and the block with the crank in it

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpg
    IMG_4346.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4475.jpg
    IMG_4475.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 61