Newbie from Australia..

dandaman

Hey guys and gals! Newbie here from Aus :D

Ive been looking for a while but this is my first post.

Been into the V6s for some time and race one in Aus.

Thought id get into this forum as we are in the process of a twin turbo conversion and thought this forum would have some good info and advice!

Bit of a run down on the car we race.

Its called a VT Commodore here in Aus (top option Calais)

Big heavy family car at 1800kgs.

They come factory fitted with an L67 here is Aus.

To date the best time we have acheived using the factory Gen 3 M90 supercharger is 10.79@126mph.

This was done with ethanol and a 50hp shot of gas and 14psi boost.

We have decided to call it quits with the M90 even though there is more in it we have decided to go twin turbos.

The owner (im driver/mechanic) has just purchased 2 x GT3076R turbos and we are in the process of doing some CAD drawings for the manifolds. Hopefully late January we will get started on the project :biggrin:

There are videos on Youtube of our car. Just type in TERAFI, thats the rego.

I think the 10.98 and 10.96 runs are there as well as a little one on the dyno.

Loving all the info on this forum and looking forward to going faster!

Dan.

Welcome to the sunny side of the street!

Here are some images of my twin ride using the GN engine:

http://www.gnspyder.com/images/john/spyder_turbo2.pdf

http://www.gnspyder.com/images/john/image03.jpg

I put it in a tube frame 'glass body Cobra but it will give you an idea of layout. Exhaust was managed by twin-tube side pipes integrated into the body of the car. Twin wastegates tied together with a commonly plumbed pressure regulator and the boost is rock-solid. The oil return lines go directly to the oil pan.

there is more detail in Spyder Project

Good luck with your project!

Welcome, are you on L67 Torque as well? I go on there from time to time.

I would think a twin set up would work well in your car. ZZP has gone pretty fast with their twin turbo FWD GP. The thing that surprised me is they ran the XPZ cam with the turbo set up. What cam/heads are you running?

Thanks for the replys! taking it all in!

Yeh im on L67Torque too.

Head/cam at the moment is intense stage 3 cam and Intense heads ( but heavily re-ported and flowbenched).

I just thought id join here for some info on what you guys do to these engines.

Ive had a lot of experiance with Jap stuff but im still new to the buick motor.

looking forward to getting the ball rolling with the new setup :biggrin:

Welcome to the sunny side of the street!

Here are some images of my twin ride using the GN engine:

I put it in a tube frame 'glass body Cobra but it will give you an idea of layout. Exhaust was managed by twin-tube side pipes integrated into the body of the car. Twin wastegates tied together with a commonly plumbed pressure regulator and the boost is rock-solid. The oil return lines go directly to the oil pan.

Good luck with your project!

very nice car! what sort of numbers you get from this combo?

First "out-of-the-box" pass was 11.80 @ 119MPH, second pass, the car got squirrely, so I aborted until I found the culprit. Turned out the alignment was way off.

The first set of turbos were Schwitzers, tiny little things from a John Deere diesel application. They were only rated at 95 HP. So, I just replaced the Shwitzers with a pair of ball bearing Precision turbos matched to the engine - capable of around 500 HP per turbo. Ran out of season, so in the spring, I'll be making another pass...

Given the weight of the car, it should be well into the 10's.

I would think the car should scream with your current mods and twin turbos. After seeing 8 and 9 second turbo cars run stock lower ends the L67 is pretty impressive. You could always run the twins throught the M90 like Zoomer.

I'm surprised how well they hold up since they seem to pop pistons quite often on M90 cars with minimal mods. I guess the M90 would be the weak link.

Good luck with the build I'm sure it will fly.

On L67 Tourque I'm slowgtp. I signed up over there to see if there were any tricks you guys were doing that we hadn't been doing here in the US...kind of the same thing your doing here ;)

Yeh switzers arent the best design turbocharger, those big precisions will get her singing! 500hp rated is about similar to what we are going to use too. At what rpm does it start to build boost? Id say it would be a handful being a glass car!

Yeh its damn hot here, today its 43deg, about 110deg in your numbers.

slogtp, yeh I think ive seen your name there more than once. Whats with the name? 10.99 isnt slow! lol.

TERAFI has a built bottom end now, forged pistons, billet rods and the crank has been treated, lightened and balanced. Going to use the Blower LIM and fabricate an upper section as a plenum and run a forward facing throttle.

here is a pick of the garretts.

Attachments

• P1010125.jpg
    P1010125.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 213
Well to be honest I got on LS1.com and some LS1 TA guy form a city near bye was ripping on our GP club and how slow GTP's were. I signed up on the site as Slowgtp to be a smart ass. I invited him to our spring grudge match and told him once he beat me I'd pay his way. He actually showed up and the first pass I beat him 12.75 to 13.80 something. I saw him a bit later and he asked when we would race...haha we just did. He didn't realize it was me that just slaughtered him... too funny. He couldn't understand how my car could beat him at 310 whp compared to his 330 whp....it's called low end torque haha.

The 10.99 was in my Grand National not my GTP.

I'm very impressed with your times and with a gen3 to boot. My 99 GTP had forged pistons and stock balanced bottom end, stge 3 heads and an XPZ but it never ran like it should. It went 12.6 but the MPH was only 108.0. I'm pretty sure I was in need of a better fuel pump and larger injectors but I gave up and sold everything to get the GN back together. I seriously think it cost's more to run 12's in a GTP than to run 10's in a GN.

I was impressed with turbo GP's. They seemed to make huge power on a stock engine. One friend of mine threw an intercooled 67 turbo kit on a otherwise stock GTP and made 380 whp at 14# of boost. They ran the pipe into the SC inlet and just took out the guts and put a plate over the snout end. just used the SC case like a plenum. The car pulled like carzy and got mid 11'6 with crap 60's. The problem with the FWD is the transmissions don't hold up to the power of the tubo well. So wiht your RWD set up your car should be crazy fast. Did you think about just running one big single turbo?

Well to be honest I got on LS1.com and some LS1 TA guy form a city near bye was ripping on our GP club and how slow GTP's were. I signed up on the site as Slowgtp to be a smart ass. I invited him to our spring grudge match and told him once he beat me I'd pay his way. He actually showed up and the first pass I beat him 12.75 to 13.80 something. I saw him a bit later and he asked when we would race...haha we just did. He didn't realize it was me that just slaughtered him... too funny. He couldn't understand how my car could beat him at 310 whp compared to his 330 whp....it's called low end torque haha.

The 10.99 was in my Grand National not my GTP.

LOL! I love storys of the underdog hammering the so called BIG BOYS lol.

We did a similar thing here in aus! We have an LS1 National event every year here. Me, Craig and the crew showed up with TERAFI and entered the car :biggrin: The scrutireers put me in bolt on LS1 catagory! LOL!!!!

Was lots of unhappy LS1 guys that day lol.

Now they have changed the name of the event to LSX nationals and the rules are that the motor must be of LS1 origen ie: LS1 LS2 LSX L98 L76 etc.

I rang up and said "hey we have an L67....does this qualify?"

I got a stout "NO"....lol.

LOL! I love storys of the underdog hammering the so called BIG BOYS lol.

We did a similar thing here in aus! We have an LS1 National event every year here. Me, Craig and the crew showed up with TERAFI and entered the car :biggrin: The scrutireers put me in bolt on LS1 catagory! LOL!!!!

Was lots of unhappy LS1 guys that day lol.

Now they have changed the name of the event to LSX nationals and the rules are that the motor must be of LS1 origen ie: LS1 LS2 LSX L98 L76 etc.

I rang up and said "hey we have an L67....does this qualify?"

I got a stout "NO"....lol.

Haha there must have been some serious crying going on there. I loved to beat LS1's with the GTP. Those guys were always cocky as hell and when they loose they have that look:eek:

I know that look lol

We were up against a supercharged LS1 on N20.

It was a big thing because the tower guy anounced it and all were watching.

I went 11.07 and he went 11.32 LOL!

They had there car on the trailer and were off before I got back to the pits lol!

Have though about the big single but craig likes the idea of twins as not many do it.

I cant see us having too many issues making big power.

Welcome aboard. We've got a few Ausies on here but they just show up, put a few posts and are gone. I do hope you stick aroudn and give us an idea of what's going on "over the pond".

Ah ok thanks :D

Yeh those manifolds are quite popular in Aus, they tend to make tuning a little difficult though due to un even vacc signals. When you get them right though, they perform well.

We have decided to go the simple route (simple things often work best :biggrin:) of using the L67 lim and fabricating a plate to go on top with a plenum and forward facing throttle. Has anyone ever seen something like this? I know most of you guys use buicks but they also came supercharged too :D