Heads..Which Ones?

Wheezy

Dont know what to buy TA or Champion heads.

Whats the best flow #s you've gotten out of either head?

109 .30 over 3.625 stroke

Take a look at Webers Ported Irons.

There the same price as Champions but they have slightly better flow numbers on both intake and exhaust. Im happy with mine. Talk to Brian for the numbers.

I believe Disco Stu has some impressive ported TA head #'s. From those numers I would have to give the nod to the TA head for flowing the most between those two. I believe they were $2500 total complete and ported, not to bad.

Lots of people doing ported irons, not a bad idea if you plan on being low 10's and slower.

Good god..what was 2500? Have the ported irons gone up that much? I must have not got the whole sentance or something..maybe a motor being built with the heads or something?

DR.BOOSTER said:
I believe Disco Stu has some impressive ported TA head #'s. From those numers I would have to give the nod to the TA head for flowing the most between those two. I believe they were $2500 total complete and ported, not to bad.

Lots of people doing ported irons, not a bad idea if you plan on being low 10's and slower.

LOL, if the ported irons went to $2500, we all would be getting bent big time.

The TA aluminum heads were $2500, that included the head, porting and all the components to make it a bolt on ( no rocker arms ).

I believe Disco Stu's flow @.500 was IN= 256cfm and EX= 209, which kills ported irons around 205cfm.

my ported GN-1 heads flow 249cfm on the intake and 219cfm on the exhaust at .600 lift. that is a street/strip port job. they were done by McKenzie Cylinder Head. i talked to my friend who bought them new and had the port work done. He priced the TA's,and compared to the GN-1s, said it would cost quite abit more. i cant quote prices for you though, sorry. hope this helps. jeremy :)

The lastest info on heads we have done show the following:

Champion GN-1R heads w/1.90"/1.60" valves at .600" lift: intake 249 cfm/exhaust 196 cfm

TA SE heads w/1.94"/1.60" valves at .600" lift: intake 280.5 cfm/exhaust 223.2 cfm

One interesting item about the TA heads, the exhaust keeps climbing to 225.3 at .800" lift.

Nick Micale said:
The lastest info on heads we have done show the following:

Champion GN-1R heads w/1.90"/1.60" valves at .600" lift: intake 249 cfm/exhaust 196 cfm

TA SE heads w/1.94"/1.60" valves at .600" lift: intake 280.5 cfm/exhaust 223.2 cfm

One interesting item about the TA heads, the exhaust keeps climbing to 225.3 at .800" lift.

Nick are you sure about the intake flow numbers on the TA SE's with a 1.94 valve?? The TA catalouge says 265cfm @.575 lift "max port" and thats with 2.02 valve .....The exh is listed at 205cfm same lift... :confused: Are the exh's your testing flowed with a pipe?

We feel the larger 2.02" intake valve actually hinders flow as it is so close to the combustion chamber edge.

The numbers above are the most recent done on a set of heads being installed on my TA block this week. This is the "next step" from the ones we did for John [Disco Stu] as we can upgrade his when he is ready!

The TA numbers are over a year old, as they have since bettered them now, as we have also.

It is not possible to get the higher numbers with the stock intake manifold without drastic [welding] modifications to the ports. :eek:

Nick Micale said:
We feel the larger 2.02" intake valve actually hinders flow as it is so close to the combustion chamber edge.

The numbers above are the most recent done on a set of heads being installed on my TA block this week. This is the "next step" from the ones we did for John [Disco Stu] as we can upgrade his when he is ready!

The TA numbers are over a year old, as they have since bettered them now, as we have also.

It is not possible to get the higher numbers with the stock intake manifold without drastic [welding] modifications to the ports. :eek:

Nick,

Usually you unshroud the chamber to bore size when using the larger valve. What bore size were they tested with that 2.02 flowed worse? Im not sure I understood what you ment about the stock intake. Arent the heads being tested by themselves?

lazaris said:
Nick,

Usually you unshroud the chamber to bore size when using the larger valve. What bore size were they tested with that 2.02 flowed worse? Im not sure I understood what you ment about the stock intake. Arent the heads being tested by themselves?

We have not used the 2.02" valves in a TA head. Yes, we work the chamber to unshroud the valve and air flow, but not much we can do about a given cylinder bore size. We have found flow distruption on many other brand heads so we used that data to draw our conclusions. From what I know about what others have done, like Ken D., our analysis has been correct at least to the 3.900" bore size.

Of course we test the heads by themselves nf the Superflow bench, but the larger head ports do not line up with a stock intake properly. Hope that makes it clear. :)

Nick Micale said:
We have not used the 2.02" valves in a TA head. Yes, we work the chamber to unshroud the valve and air flow, but not much we can do about a given cylinder bore size. We have found flow distruption on many other brand heads so we used that data to draw our conclusions. From what I know about what others have done, like Ken D., our analysis has been correct at least to the 3.900" bore size.

Of course we test the heads by themselves nf the Superflow bench, but the larger head ports do not line up with a stock intake properly. Hope that makes it clear. :)

Ok the 2.02 wasnt tested. I would think on a 4.00 inch bore it would show better than a 1.94. Still 280cfm on a 1.94 valve is alot of air. :eek: